What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8 x 57 Mauser

Dutch

Before WW2 the Germans had some experiments with aluminum cases.

Here is an example of this development.

Rgds
Dutch

Attachments

• P151Alu.JPG
    P151Alu.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 123
  • P151HS.JPG
    P151HS.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 99
Yes it is an unfinished case but no drill.
The development was started in WW1. The airplanes could take more ammo with them when they used aluminum cases instead brass. This development continued in the mid thirties.
The Pictures added are the WW1 and the later development.

If I remember well, a British collector Mr. Labbet, who unfortunately passed away, told me long time ago that there was also a .303 British with an Aluminum case was developed during WW2.

Attachments

• alu.jpg
    alu.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 59
  • AluWW1.JPG
    AluWW1.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 76
  • AluHSWW2.JPG
    AluHSWW2.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 63
  • AluWW2.JPG
    AluWW2.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 61
Dutch, thanks a lot for showing these images. Thought I will never see such a thing.

Just for information, SFM has started testing the manufacture of aluminium cases in the early 1890 , samples of 7.62 Russian Mosin were shown at the International Moscow Exhibition 1890 or 1891 , Tests wer made with Lebel, Spanish and Belgian Mauser , 7.92 Mauser and 37 mm Hotchkiss, and as far as I know, results were not too bad even after several reloadings. Tests were continued at least until 1911 with the 7.92 caliber. I have been offering some 25 year ago a small hand full of this last lot at the ECRA meeting in Holland.

You mean this round.

Attachments

• P M M88 B.S.JPG
    P M M88 B.S.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 59
  • P M M88-1.jpg
    P M M88-1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 57