What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

80 /44 X Fuze

Gspragge

Premium Member
I discovered that I had this variation. It had been underwater and recovered.
Any steel parts are dissolved. So I'm hoping to restore it.

Attachments

• SDC11024.jpg
    SDC11024.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 39
  • SDC11025.jpg
    SDC11025.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I have as best I can restored the two disolved studs.
Also there are anchor insection marks on each disc, I'm not used to seeing this ?
The markings on the base are suggestive of this starting out as a No 80.
Then being reworked as an 80/44 -
Can any one comment on this ?

Attachments

• SDC11033.jpg
    SDC11033.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 29
  • SDC11032.jpg
    SDC11032.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 27
A great job in restoring the setting pins Gordon. This is a very desirable fuze. My opinion is that it was made as an 80/44 but a base plug from an 80 Mk VII was used and they barred out the mk VII. It intrigues me though why there is no date on the fuze, as it appears to have been filled, and the X between the 44 and the RL. The No. 80 Mk XI fuze had steel setting pins from memory

Last edited:
The fuze is introduced in WOLC paragraph 25135, of July 1922. Approval was December 1918 and the No.80/44 Mk X was converted from No.80 Mk VII or No.180 Mk VII, by removal of the percussion mechanism of the No.80 (already done in the No.180), inserting a wooden block in lieu, blacking out the graduations 0-2 on the body flange, and using steel setting studs. The previous fuze number and mark were barred out and the converted number and mark added together with monogram of the factory carrying out the conversion, and - supposedly - the date of the conversion.

When I bought it I didn't realize what it was, likely the markings were dirty. It had been salvaged (or at least under water as a disposal) and had a cover which
was severly distorted from pressure. The cover a No 4.1 was dated 11.18.There were more at the time also which of course I didn't buy.

Being introduced at the end of the war, what was it intended for - 13pr 9CWT and or 3" 2CWT ?

If I attempt to complete a 13Pr AA round dated 1916, 17 or 18 (should I live long enough to find a projectile), what fuze then should I use ?

Last edited:
I’ve seen them on 13 Pr 9 cwt and 3” 20 cwt AA shells. You’d need to get a 1918 dated shell if you can.

If I attempt to complete a 13Pr AA round dated 1916, 17 or 18 (should I live long enough to find a projectile), what fuze then should I use ?

The attached minute of March 1917 should give a flavour of fuze options for 1916 and 1917 dated 3-inch AA projectiles.

Attachments

• AA fuzing.jpg
    AA fuzing.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 17
Ah yes and the drawings on ths site also show an earlier mark with a single brass stud rather then the two steel ones. Not
something that will be easy to find.
Though it seems the No 180 will likely be the preffered type. Does any one have one of those ?
Well it first depends on what projectile I come across - if any.

Attachments

• 80:44 d.jpg
    80:44 d.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited: