What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

81mm Illuminating Mortar

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi just thought I would show you all how I am getting on with the 81mm Illumining Mortar round that I acquired a few days ago, as you can see it had plenty of rust on it so first thing I done was to soak the body in hammerite de rust dip over night and then spun it in the lathe to clean it up and to take it back to bear metal, its not come up to bad it has a few scratch marks but I think they will not show when painted, the tail was bought separate and had a few paint chips and being aluminium just paint striped it and again turned it in the lathe to finish it off, the fuse is a DM93 and not in bad nick it will not come off but has cleaned up ok, and now have painted it Matt white and just the stencils left to do.

Andy

Attachments

• L54A1 body.JPG
    L54A1 body.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 71
  • L54A1 chute.JPG
    L54A1 chute.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 60
  • L54A1 Tail.jpg
    L54A1 Tail.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DM93fuze.JPG
    DM93fuze.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 54
  • L54A1 body (2).jpg
    L54A1 body (2).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 59
  • L54A1 chute (2).jpg
    L54A1 chute (2).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DM93 fuze.jpg
    DM93 fuze.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 48
  • L54A1.jpg
    L54A1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 56
  • P1030822.jpg
    P1030822.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 68
Wow Andy,that is stunning mate! how do you do the stencils? I have tried 'letraset' but they always seem to crack!
Very good job my friend.

Tony

Thanks Tony, well i normal make my own stencil's but this time i can't get it right so i will keep trying
Cheers
Andy

Very nice restoration.

That rusty wreck has come up really well Andy and the paint job looks very good too-my congratulations on a very nice restoration job!
i look forward to seeing the item fully stencilled.

Hi, have just finished the Mortar but just need the Obturating ring to complete it.
Andy

Attachments

• P1030842.jpg
    P1030842.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 40
  • P1030843.jpg
    P1030843.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 47
Nice restoration job Andy, it looks great! Its always nice to see before and after photos.

Darren

Great job Andy!
I'll keep my eyes out for a ring and any other bits for it on my travels mate

Cheers
Tony

Thanks Chris, it took a couple of goes to get it right but it all came out ok in the end and i am well pleased with it.
Best
Andy