What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

81mm ilum mortar

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi has anybody got any information on the British 81mm L54A1 Illuminating mortar please
Cheers
Andy

Fin set.

The only comment I have is that the only part of it made in Britain is the tail fin set:embarassed:

Attachments

• 81 Mor Illum.JPG
    81 Mor Illum.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 70
Thanks Chris that's the one i have a chute with mine and nice pic was it a US design
Cheers
Andy

drawing showing components

Attachments

• 81mm para ilum.jpg
    81mm para ilum.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 63
Green or White ?

This Illum round as far as I know is a NATO collaboration with all the component parts originating within the EEC with our contribution only being minimal (IMO).
I had a few "chutes" of two different types but have no pictures of them or measurements, sadly.

Is your "chute" Green Nylon or more traditional white Nylon ?

Hi Chris mine is green, i am looking for the clip for the fuze and can you get the dummy charges that fit on the fins do you know.
Andy

Last edited:
White and Green chutes

Just had a look through the library and come up with the two different Parachutes for the 81 mm Illuminating Mor see attached.

Andy, the charges (augmenting) are seldom seen but you may have a bit of luck with one of the usual dealers as they can be inerted by them and sold on-worth asking I would have thought ?
See attached pic of inerted Augmenting Charge

Attachments

• 81 Mor Para W.jpg
    81 Mor Para W.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 81 Mor Para G.jpg
    81 Mor Para G.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 81 Mor Aug.jpg
    81 Mor Aug.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 19
Thank you Chris and yes that is my green chute and thats the word Augmenting Charge i could not think of it and i will try a few places thanks again and do you know what sort of cartridge it had sorry for all the questions
Best regards
Andy

Secondary percussion cap

Further to Spotters post regarding the Primary cartridge it is not like a shotgun cartridge or brass case, it is an Aluminium screw in holder with a hidden primer (similar to a Tube Vent cartridge-a solid cap is used to strike the primer inside the assembly) and has a thin Aluminium sleeve pressed onto the body and either crimped or sealed with a cardboard disc.

They are generally not intended to be removable and tend to become very well seated after firing to the point you will most likely destroy all but the screw in cap if you attempt to remove a fired one (an unfired one is also "glued" in with a thread sealant).

Hi Chris, thanks for the advice i have not received it yet so when it comes i will keep that in mind
Cheers
Andy

Hi Chris mine is green, i am looking for the clip for the fuze and can you get the dummy charges that fit on the fins do you know.
Andy
Andy ref clip for the fuze---do you mean the safety pin ?? if so have one here for you

Attached is a picture of a L33A1 taken from a 1980's tail fin assembly.
Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• L33.jpg
    L33.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 24
  • L3301.jpg
    L3301.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 23
  • L3302.jpg
    L3302.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 27
Thank you Chris and yes that is my green chute and thats the word Augmenting Charge i could not think of it and i will try a few places thanks again and do you know what sort of cartridge it had sorry for all the questions
Best regards
Andy
hope this helps .regards darrol.

Attachments

• DSC04947.jpg
    DSC04947.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 24