What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

81mm practice

Fred

I recently obtained this L67A2 mortar. Its a nice clean specimen with a solid dummy fuze. I was wondering , is this actually meant to be fired from a mortar or is it only for drill purposes? Also what does TV stand for in the markings?
It is marked L67A2 REP no 162 MK 11
and the body is marked
TV xx PAT 77

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Fred

Attachments

• 81mm prac.jpg
    81mm prac.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 82
  • P1040017.jpg
    P1040017.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 60
These were used for firing practice ,its been repainted at sometime and should be light Blue in colour,attatched pic shows fired recovered rounds

Attachments

• Image006-87a65e18ccaf27faf11670ab6277ebea.jpg
    Image006-87a65e18ccaf27faf11670ab6277ebea.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 111
Thanks for that spotter, I suspected that black was not the original colour.

Fred

Missing ring.

All you need for that Fred is the small can of the correct colour paint and the "obturator" ring that sits in the large groove, they are not often seen (although Spotter may well see many) and the odd one turns up now and again at places such as Beltring and Stoneliegh, made of a fairly rigid plastic similar to "Perspex".

Whilst many break up on firing some do survive the process, also these are split so they can be fitted to the bomb.

Attachments

• 81 mor ob ring.JPG
    81 mor ob ring.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Here's mine. A bit battered. Paul, I would love one of those rings if possible mate.

Attachments

• picresized_th_100_2220.jpg
    picresized_th_100_2220.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 55
  • picresized_th_100_2221.jpg
    picresized_th_100_2221.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 44
  • picresized_th_100_2222.jpg
    picresized_th_100_2222.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 38
i was up on the ranges at catterick drop testing the mortars before a live firing exersize and picked up a handfull out off idle curiosity. and thought someone will want one of these one day.
send me your details pointblank0
cheers, paul.

Part Number Prefix

... Also what does TV stand for in the markings?

TV is just a part number prefix. It is not an acronym for anything but it was used to identify parts associated with Mortar Bombs and spigot ammunition. Similarly if you see something with a TW prefix it is something to do with a grenade, SV is a package, etc. There are/were also suffixes to identify the type of part. A for assembly, SA for sub-assembly etc. The number between the prefix and suffix is a serial number (eg TW13A). The part number was issued by the Quality Assurance Directorate (QAD).

The above is the simple explanation, the use of these numbers during the development and sealing of a store, over the years since WW2 and across the Services is not straightforward.

[Ref The National Archives DEFE series]

Last edited:
Thanks for the help and info folks. The more that I visit this forum, the more I realise how little I know about this stuff!

Fred

hi pointblank do you still have the rings for the 81mm mortars if so can you give me a price for them thanks ,ps i was reading the reply you gave some one else and was i reading it right that you have some mortars you picked up from the ranges thanks.
noggen

hi pointblank do you still have the rings for the 81mm mortars if so can you give me a price for them thanks ,ps i was reading the reply you gave some one else and was i reading it right that you have some mortars you picked up from the ranges thanks.
noggen

Hi mate. It wasn't me with the rings, it was Paul. I got mine from him.