What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

86-ish mm projectile

Nabob

Ordnance approved
Hello
please help with the ID of this projectile.

Thanks, Bob

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 49
Hi Nabob
-Am I counting 6 grooves correctly?
-Does the well for the fuze have a conical thread or a cylindrical one?
-Can you write the location of the find?
Akon

Hi Akon,
- correct 6 grooves
fuze well not cleaned..yet
location of the find...skeleton in the closet :)
Bob

Hello, Gentlemen,
I have to say that the grenade is really interesting :)
First, what stabilization system does it use?
We can probably agree that this is a variant of the "Lenk" system, i.e. Wilhelm Lenk von Wolfsberg.
However, it is quite different from the adopted system 1863 (M.63).
-The rise of the barrel is an order of magnitude lower...
-I'm guessing because it's probably for the ass.
As for the shell solution in the bottom, there is a hint of the Armstrong design...but only a hint. It's not England :)
- the radius of the front ogival does not completely exclude even German material (experimental).
The question is whether it is an imitation of a country other than Austria-Hungary or whether it is development material for the M.63 system...
So, in summary, there is a bit of every system available at the time :)

I do not believe that the M.63 system just fell from the sky without more types and designs. Unfortunately, I have similar poor development materials for it. ......
I have to say that I searched England, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, Russia, France, Croatia and nothing...
I'm mostly leaning towards cooperation between Germany and Austria-Hungary, but it's a pure guess :(
Akon

Last edited:
@AKON: I am 100% in consent with your thoughts. I also think it's a experimental shell for a muzzle loader and may be from Austro-Hungary.

One more small trace can be the material of the "jacket". Is it lead or is it white metal (Zinc/tin alloy)? The "System Lenk" shells were coated with white metal and most other shells in this era were lead coated. White metal is a bit harder than lead.

Mr.Alpini
Yes, the clue to the shell material is also an option to narrow down the search to fewer countries. Big deal :)
But seen globally, the grenade has the characteristics of other already established constructions, and these were later or occurred in other countries across Europe.
From this I estimate that the designer must have had that information in a summary and only used it for this version of the ammunition.
- they are just more or less accurate estimates.
The area of the fuze - I looked to see if there was an identical form of flange and thread. However, we don't know the cavity for the thread (if there is one) in detail yet...

Akon

Thanks for all the input.
I will try to get some more info on the fuze thread next time I get to the projectile.

Bob.