What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sksvlad

A Spanish capture of Flak 36 set of 88 gun, search light and a power generator. The volunteer manning the WWII hangar proudly offered to hold this fired shell, but when I looked at the headstamp, it said "Karlsruhe Nov 1917".
DSCF9520.jpgDSCF9521.jpgDSCF9522.jpgDSCF9523.jpgDSCF9538.jpgDSCF9539.jpgDSCF9540.jpgDSCF9524.jpgDSCF9546.jpgDSCF9547.jpgDSCF9548.jpgDSCF9550.jpgDSCF9551.jpg

Last edited:
I like the wicker basket! Too bad he doesn't have the gun set up in a firing position.

Thanks for corrections. Actually, the gun is being fired on special occasions, they use blanks.

To me it looks being a mixture of Flak 18 ( barrel ) and Flak 37 ( aiming instruments ). In various parts should be stamped manufactuing year, if you can look it closely. My wild guess is it was made about 1936-37, unless the barrel has replaced with early one later on.

The original barrel lasted only about 2500 rounds, then it had to be replaced. Therefore Flak 37 rifled liner was made in 3 sections and the middel part which burned fast could be replaced.

Well, all types of barrels (i.e. early two piece, five piece and late two piece) were fully interchangeable and it is nothing unusual to see an 8,8 cm Flak 36 or 37 with an early barrel. The complete carriage is of the 37 type here, as can be judged by the Lafettenkreuz 36 lower carriage, type 37 data receiver on the fuse setter and lack of the rammer socket on the cradle. :)

Last edited: