What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

88mm Flak case - colour/finish

Derek

I recently acquired an ex-Finnish 88mm Flak case in steel. This one has been stripped of the original post-war grey paint, it is marked 88mm Flak 18, 41 aue and something?
I want to restore this with the correct colour and finish but unsure how to continue. I have found a picture taken at a museum that shows the steel and brass cases but what is the correct colour? Is it lacquered?

If someone could let me know the colour/finish, perhaps with a RAL code that will be greatly appreciated.

Also one other question, is it correct to have the fuzes painted white???

Attachments

• flak-88-5110.jpg
    flak-88-5110.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I have several original condition cases, made of full brass or brass coated steel, however no lacquer at all. Logically, parkerized or lacquered steel cases should appear as well, but I haven't seen them.

Fuze should be in plain metal color, not painted. AP-shell may have white tip or not, depending of projectile type.

Last edited: