What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9 Inch 12 Ton R.M.L. Gun

Gspragge

Premium Member
I obtained this W^D ID plate today from such a gun. I don't know anything about it yet (haven't started to research yet) Can some one explain the the bottom row on this plate. the top row is straight forward I think. Does the I beside W^D indicate MKl ?
The maker of the plate is J.S.E. , size is 6 3/16" x 3 5/16".

I think the markings which are rather worn on the reverse place this gun in Bermuda ?

Attachments

• IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2291.jpg
    IMG_2291.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 25
  • jse.jpg
    jse.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 16
I think this plate refers to the gun mounting or part of it... details of the gun itself were stamped on one of the trunnions. The last line indicates whatever this was attached to weighed 101 1/2 cwt (hundredweight) i.e. just over 5 tons.

Courtesy of the Palmerston Fort Society

The last line does indicate the mounting weight and identifies the kind, as shown. These guns seem to have been everywhere, there is one in Quebec. In service in some places until 1922 !

Attachments

• 9inch12tonRMLscan2.jpg
    9inch12tonRMLscan2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 15
  • art18.jpg
    art18.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 21
Neat guns, Gordon and Falcon. I went to Ft. McHenry (Baltimore, MD) last weekend and they had the 8" and 13" Columbiads. From what I read, because of budget cut backs, these guns were still in service until the turn of the century and maybe up till WWI. Cheers, Bruce.