What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

90mm HEAT-HVY-TP-T

orpheus72

Premium Member
Does anyone knows more about this projectile?
It's most likely a Belgian piece.
All info and drawings are welcome, as i can't find any picture or description for this projectile.

The markings on the projectile are:
90 mm . G MK III
inert
CTG M 622
HEAT - HVY - TP - T (High Explosive Anti Tank - Heavy - Target Practice - Tracer)

Markings on the casing are:
MG.CL 1-55 Standard 3,274.K (on side of casing)

90 mm . M19B1
lot - SY1.11 - 25 - 1956 (bottom stamps)

Dimentions:
hight shell = 60 cm
hight projectile = 62,5 cm
diameter = 90mm
total hight = 95 cm
total weight = 9,600 kg

Attachments

• HEAT-HVY-TPT-T projectile and M19B1 shell.jpg
    HEAT-HVY-TPT-T projectile and M19B1 shell.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 113
I'm not sure if that projectile is proper with that casing. The case is the standard 90mm tank and antiaircraft gun case dating to WWII whereas the projectile is a newer design usually associated with a lower recoil gun used in armored cars and lighter vehicles. It is usually seen with a couple of different shorter cases, one being a straight case.

I'm not sure if that projectile is proper with that casing. The case is the standard 90mm tank and antiaircraft gun case dating to WWII whereas the projectile is a newer design usually associated with a lower recoil gun used in armored cars and lighter vehicles. It is usually seen with a couple of different shorter cases, one being a straight case.

Hazord,
I suppose you are referring to the 90x353 cockerill round, (that had indeed a short casing) but when looking closer to the projectile, it has a diffrent shape in fuze and tailfin design
(picture is the Belgian HE-Frag)

I was told that this projectile was used by the Belgian army in LEOPARD tanks, so i assume this type of casing is correct for that tank?

Attachments

• 90mm HE-Frag Nr219A1.jpg
    90mm HE-Frag Nr219A1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 82
  • CockerillSpecs.jpg
    CockerillSpecs.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 68
Yes, I was talking about the Cockerill gun because you have a Cockerill/Mecar projectile, made in Belgium. It has the color and lettering font used by Cockerill. You might also check the location of the crimping groove on your projo in relation to the crimp on your steel case. It is hard to tell in your photo where the groove is on the projo.

Visit this site:

http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes...on-for-Cockerill-and-Engesa-guns-Belgium.html

Which talks about the guns. Your projectile is lettered for a MK III gun as described in the text. The text also specifies a brass case manufactured by Mecar.

Excerpt from Jane's:

"Description
All rounds for the 90 mm Mk II and Mk III Cockerill guns are fixed, with the finned steel projectiles crimped into their cartridge cases by a 360 crimping ring. The drive bands are gilding-metal or copper. Cartridge cases produced by Mecar are brass. In all cases, other than the Mecar 90 mm M652 APFSDS-T, a cool-burning single-base propellant is used, along with a percussion primer. The projectiles all have fin assemblies for in-flight stabilisation, with each fin assembly having six fixed T-shaped fins.The Mecar 90 mm rounds are provided with special graze-action fuzes, with two independent safeties which comply with MIL-STD-1316. These fuzes function at very small impact angles, for example, as small as 2 incidence. They have a tail-mounted tracer element that burns for four seconds after firing. In all cases, the fuze muzzle safety distance is a minimum of 25 m.A full listing of 90 mm rounds for the Mk II and Mk III Cockerill guns follows."

Last edited:
Thanks Haz.

Now i know i have to look out for a correct shell to complete this beauty.

Yeah, it's a great looking bullet! I'm pretty sure your projo is a more recent manufacture. My Jane's Ammo Handbook from 1999 doesn't list it as a round but does list M620 and M621 rounds.

90mm Cockerill Mk8

While on this subject...can anyone please tell me the length and base diameter of the Cockerill Mk 8 case? It seems, from photos to be about 650mm long but that is guesswork. Fairly certain it would be longer than the 90x600R US case. Greetings all....

I don't have case dimensions for the Mk 8 but judging from illustrations and overall length figures, it seems to have more or less the same case length as the US 90mm, but is slimmer and lighter.

[ame]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/hybenamon/LAND/ARMOR/Cockerill%2090mm%20Cannon/CockerillSpecs.jpg[/ame]