What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

90mm m431

DEADLINE222

I should have taken a recent "before" picture, but I have substituted with an older picture.

The threading on the standoff spike was destroyed via a tourch, and the pezo cap was gone. I machined the cap and pressed it on what was left of the threads.

The obturator was gone as well. I feel a piece of 3" PVC did the trick.

A TM from the mid 70's describes the projectile as being black in color, but ORDATA states either OD green or black.

I chose OD green because the projectile is dated 62, and I firgued since it is fairly early example, the projetiles would retain OD being it an COMP B filled.

The casing is not correct.

Is the obturator too thick, and how do you feel about the OD green -vs- black?

431Before.jpgM431.jpg

TM takes precedence over ORDATA. ORDATA is an informal collection of information from technical sources, generally correct but not a technical reference in itself.

I don't have the exact date of the color code change, but I'm good with the OD with yellow lettering for the older stuff, and black with yellow lewttering for newer stuff. You find the 90mm RR HEAT rounds and 106mmRR HEAT rounds with both color codes. I would think that the OD with yellow would actually be more valuable, kind of like the Solid yellow ordanance that was pre 1942. Of course that would apply to original paint versus repaint. The bullet looks good though, no matter the color.

Haz, the NATO system of markings was introduced in 1964. For UK, the current system of lotting and batching was introduced in 1969. Matthew