What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

90mm M71 HE Projectile colours & markings

hicky1300

Hi
Well swinging by Waterloo Market on the way to the Ciney Fair paid off!!!
Picked up this unfired M71 HE projectile. 1945 dated.
It had a modern Fuze base fitted that came out easily.
Unfortunately there is a 1/4" hole drilled in the side but I hope to fill this as I would like to paint & stencil this round.
Does anyone know the correct colour & markings please? I am sure it should be a green finish. Paint code (UK) & pics would be greatly appreciatted
I have a good condition 1944 M19 case (i think I got that at Waterloo some years ago?) that it fits very nicely into.
I know the Fuze is not correct. Marked F.A - 93. So Frankford Arsenal 1993? Would anyone have the correct 1940`s dated fuze for sale/swap?
As ever - thanks in advanceIMG_0338[1].jpg

Fuze looks like an M67, listed as one of the correct fuzes.

Colour should be olive drab with lettering in yellow.

90G
TNT
SHELL M71

It could also use the concrete piercing fuze, or an M43 style Mech Time for antiaircraft use. They were used with the concrete piercing fuze in the Pacific to seal up tunnels by shooting the rocks above the tunnel mouth.

Here are two variations for your consideration.

One would be the early, TNT filled example, while the other is the later COMPISITION B filled with supplementary charge.

Both images are in correct font for the time period, painstakingly copied from TM-1901 and/or historical images.

90TNT.jpg90COMPB.jpg

Cheers for the info guys.
I`ll look for some OD paint now!
Hazord - I have a CP `fuze` but would rather a 1940`s dated PD one.
Deadline - I know someone who can do the stencils so thanks for the pics.
I understand later versions were used in an AA role so had timed Fuzes. As far as I can tell though the WWII ones were AP or HE for ground to ground use only?

Opps...

On my previous post, I attached the my older, incorrect image.

Here is how COMPISITION B with supplementry charge should appear, with supporting evidence.

90COMPB2.jpg90compb3.jpg

Sorry - Should have said
Yes it is a Type 67 MT Fuze - so more likely for the 90mm Pershing etc in AA role?
For this year/use on mine it would be a PD?

Actually, the 90mm gun was an antiaircraft gun long before it was ever used on a tank. The first projectile used was an M58, which was the same shape as the M71, but had thinner walls. It was discontinued since the walls were too thin, and the shells were breaking up in the air. The remaining M58 shells were practice filled and used for training. So the first fuzes used were the M43 versions. The PD fuzes used in WWII were M48A2.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link , but for my restoration project I need coorect size of text , any idea where I can find that information , or are there stencils available ?

another question , what 's the meaning of the "G" marked after the caliber "90" , it appears on the HE grenade , as well on the AP grenade ?

G refers to "Gun" vs. H for Howitzer, or M for Mortar, etc. Nothing to do with the identification of the payload of the round.
Finally a question here simple enough for me to answer!
Happy Holidays
Taber

G refers to "Gun" vs. H for Howitzer, or M for Mortar, etc. Nothing to do with the identification of the payload of the round.
Finally a question here simple enough for me to answer!
Happy Holidays
Taber
Thanks Taber 10 , sounds very logic indeed , but had no clue it was that simple ,
Merry Christmas to you !