What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

90mm m71 he

Dunkbfg

I recently acquired a US 90MM M19 steel case dated 1941 - you can see in the cartridges section. It came with a badly re-painted M71, which I'm in the process of stripping the paint from. The underlying condition is very good - no pitting or rust. All other characteristics are standard for the M71, including the driving band.

The shell has no stamp markings at all, therefore I can't figure a date - Why no stamp markings? And what years were these manufactured? Clearly this shell may or may not be WW2, but just wondered how many other years are an option as well.

Thanks for any help.

Duncan.

I have a 90mm M71 1943 dated complete round. I purchased it from an old timer whose uncle worked in the Joliet plant during WW2. The lacquered brass shell ( lacquer in poor shape, much dis colorization) casing has no markings, but the M71 projectile is complete and is marked "...1943-GATC- 90MM..M71". His story, employees were given these inert loaded rounds when they " failed dimensional inspection". The projectile appears to be tightly crimped in the unmarked shell casing, so it was factory " assembled" , obviously inert. I have no reason not to believe his story.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I'm going to guess then that this shell may be a factory reject or take-away before it got to being stamped........... Would like to know when M71's stopped being produced though.

I'm going to guess then that this shell may be a factory reject or take-away before it got to being stamped........... Would like to know when M71's stopped being produced though.

No idea, but for interest here is a vintage picture of the Joliet Arsenal assembly line some time during WW2.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 54