What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

90mm shell with MTSQ M502 fuse dilemma

al'saad

Ordnance approved
i have recovered 90mm shell fitted with MTSQ M502 fuse that were in use in yugoslav army.
general dimensions of the shell correspond to the data that i have for HE airburst 90mm shell.
bottom of the shell as you can see on the photo is removable as on illuminating shells, but i couldn't find any data on 90mm ILL shells. in all books i have US 90mm shell jackets for AA guns, tanks and tank destroyers are made of one piece cast iron.

so dilemma is whether is this one ILL or HE (or eventually SMK)?

Attachments

• 90-1.jpg.jpg
    90-1.jpg.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 90-2.jpg
    90-2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 90-3.jpg
    90-3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Its got a welded base plate, so it should be HE. The large rotating band should help to ID it, I'll see what books I have in the house (not in storage) and can find.

M71

I think it is an M71 90-MM, HE series projectile. The Yugolsav's used US series rounds and with US fuzes. The Fuze matches that series of projectiles, and according to the Handbook of Ammunition used within the Former Yugoslavia (published by ARDEC) it is found in the area your asking about.

Joe

Attachments

• projectile.pdf
    218.9 KB · Views: 57
Unless I am missing something from the photos I agree with US Subs. It appears to only a welded base plate/base cover. Most base plus will have spanner holes (so they could be installed) or stake pins (to hold them in place). There is enough dirt, etc on the base it is hard to tell, but I don't see either. The US M71, HE, 90mm was issued the M502 or M502A1 fuze.

Your 90 mm M71

Hi Al'Saad,
it's effectively a 90 mm HE M71. I have no pics of this projo but we find here in Belgium the same welded projectiles bases. It is not an ejectable base plate of a Ill or Smk BE projo.

Greets

Yoda