What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A 3" Cutaway

Shell Shifter

Picked this up. It's a bit grubby, or was. I was thinking about putting balls in it for display. Thought I'd share.

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

shellshifter

That is a nice cutaway. Certainly deserving of finishing it up with some shrapnel and paint.

Would you paint the outside, hadn't really decided what to do with it beyond stopping the rusting Any idea what that inscription is? I thought that it might be from some divisional training group.

Yes, I'd paint the outside the color that's appropriate for the particular Mark & Mod. Possibly black for the inside of the body. Some very attractive cut-a-ways use different colors to highlight the seperate fuze parts. You might find some photos here on BOCN that would give you some ideas.

I assumed the inscription was some sort of trench art. No idea what it is.

Ray

It looks like a WW1 Divisional patch design, you can likely identify in general terms what formation this was liberated from.

P1010002.JPG

Hello Shell Shifter,

You have a nice U.S. 3-inch shrapnel cutaway! You don't see the AA Fuze Type-S very often anymore. It's a crime someone removed it's pagoda tip! I'm going to disagree with Ray, I'd certainly clean it up with a good dose of Naval Jelly and then give it some balls :~), but I wouldn't paint it. I've included a photograph of the two different types of AA Type-S fuzes.

Best regards,

Randall

It looks like a WW1 Divisional patch design, you can likely identify in general terms what formation this was liberated from.

I take it that those fuses date from WW2, yes?

I need to scour the inside a bit with a Dremel drill and wire brush but I, too, am inclined to keep it sorta the way it is. No rush one way or the other.

Hello Shell Shifter,

The AA Fuze Type-S actually dates back to 1918. BTW, Naval Jelly does an excellent job at removing light rust & oxidation.

I've used it but I don't like the leaden color that it leaves. I used a chelating agent on this shell and then cleaned it up with a wire wheel.

I'd like to be able to pop the fuse out but I think that it is too tight.

Shell shifter,

I'm thinking your fuze would unscrew from the body, if you clean up the dented area on the right side, which seems to have the two swaged together. The fuze is standard right-hand thread.

Your projectile would be WWI-WWII era, but shrapnel projos were really only used as practice and training during WWII.

The proper color for the outside of your projectile would be Flat Red, with black lettering.

Can anyone interpret the writing and makers
mark?

Sorry for terseness... Hurricane knocked out power and I am typing on an iphOne

Hazord

I always thought that white was the body color for the early Shrapnel projectiles. A red band on the ogive indicated a gas filler. Later, a red body indicated a target projectile. Do I have mine painted incorrectly?

It just occured to me. Mine is USN. Perhaps red is the Army color?

Ray

Last edited:
Ray,

Solid red body has always been the color for Army shrapnel projectiles.