What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few 'things' for id please

smle2009

Hi to all,
Have a few odds and sods for id if poss,
I have no idea's on any of them as SAA is my thing.

The first is made of black plastic,no markings,and the protruding piece on the underneath? is weighted? with metal.
second is made from khaki hard plastic almost like bakalite,again no markings.
Third,the tubes are of plastic and the 'others' of rubber,no markings.Keep turning these up!
Forth and last,well I lied a bit! I know it is the parachute from a flare but which one,I do know it is not from the L12A2.
Any help with these would be great and help me clear out my odds and sods with no idea box out.
Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• P8030001.JPG
    P8030001.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 57
  • P8030002.JPG
    P8030002.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 59
  • P8030003.JPG
    P8030003.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 54
  • P8030006.JPG
    P8030006.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 55
  • P8030007.JPG
    P8030007.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 46
  • P8030008.JPG
    P8030008.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 59
  • P8030004.JPG
    P8030004.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 76
  • P8030005.JPG
    P8030005.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hello Tony, your photos 4 - 6 of the round brown item show a central packing piece that is designed to fit in the front end of a Swingfire launcher container. It is missing the foam insert and thin plastic disc that would fit in the circular recess to take up the space behind the front vapour barrier (made of green painted foil). The four cut-outs ensure that the four specially shaped packing pieces around the warhead are correctly fitted until the missile launches. The central packing piece is vital to prevent a missile `hanging up' on firing. See what happens when one is not there, photos 3 & 5 of the attached thread are relevant to this: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/swingfire-t72347.html. In photo 3 the launch bin nearest the camera contains a missile that has had the hard cover removed from the launcher container and the vapour barrier behind it has been torn around the edges in preparation for it to be fired. You can just make out a central bulge under the vapour barrier - that is the central packing piece with round foam insert, keeping the four other packing pieces in place. The four black rubber plugs in your second from last photo may be packing pieces for igniferous detonators (for explosive demolitions). We had similar or the same for the L1 detonator, to prevent moisture and contamination getting in. Regards, Matthew

Last edited:
Hi Matthew,
Many thanks for the id,now it can go in my know what it is odds & sods box!

All the best
Tony

Detonator plugs for "Cordtex"

The little black rubber plugs are definately for plugging detonators prior to the insertion of a length of Cordtex for demolition work.
Used to see an awful lot of these kicking around by the demolition pits.

Interesting to find out what the other bits are.

Sorry Chris but I must correct you about your post - you don't insert det cord into an igniferous detonator. Fuse safety (ie safety fuse, for a safe delay after the fuse is lit) or Fuse Instantaneous (very fast burning fuse, for use for example in booby traps) is what is inserted into the detonator cavity and crimped into place.

Long time ago

Sorry Chris but I must correct you about your post - you don't insert det cord into an igniferous detonator. Fuse safety (ie safety fuse, for a safe delay after the fuse is lit) or Fuse Instantaneous (very fast burning fuse, for use for example in booby traps) is what is inserted into the detonator cavity and crimped into place.

Thank you AMMOTECHXT you are correct and I should have remembered that vital fact!
Seat the safety fuze then check the depth of insertion and that you have yellow dust on the end then reinsert and crimp.