What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Friday in London

EODONE

Ordnance Approved
This is a golden oldie to any 49ers, but I've posted it out of interest to all, and I call it "A Friday in London" the reason is that during the building boom(Excuse the pun) during the 60's in the City contractors got in the bad habit of reporting any bombs found on the site on a Friday afternoon, so they could carry on work during the week and knock off early on Friday, spoiling our weekends. Simple quesion for some , What was the Felling Axe by the bomb for. don't say chopping wood?

REgards John :tinysmile_shy_t:

Attachments

• A Friday in London.jpg
    A Friday in London.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 108
Morning John,
Where is this painting located? size? You speak of the axe, this image is akin to the Bomb Disposal Centerpiece at Brompton Bks, if they have immunized the bomb in order to bring the bomb up from the shaft, put two planks under it, now they are putting a mechanical trepanner in position; why not haul it to the disposal site?
Regards,
John aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
The painting

John,
The painting is a print that was presented to certain members of 49 Sqd, what you see was common practice during the 60's although the picture does have a little of the painter poetic licence, the silver centre piece that you mention used at mess fuction I first saw / moved in a land rover from the armoury in Horsham in 1964, a four man lift and great to.
Thanks for the interest in the job being done in the old days, but what was the axe for?

REgards John

Cutting the hose from the steam generator in the case of a backflow situation??

TimG

Bart, I have one of the prints. Framed it is 19" x 26". Great item to hang on your wall. I got it years ago from a friend in 33 Regiment and framed it when I got home. Bob