What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A W Bombs Box

Roger

Attached are pictures of three ammunition boxes. One of the boxes was used for the storage and transit of A W Bombs and I'm hoping somebody may know where I can find an empty SIP Grenade to display in it. The second box contained .303 ammunition used by the Wiltshire Home Guard in the village of Aldbourne and the third box is a mystery. Can anybody tell me what it contained and the period it dates from? I think it could be post war but it appears to have been repainted at some date.

Cheers,

Roger.

Attachments

• A W Bombs 1.jpg
    A W Bombs 1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 70
  • A W Bombs 2.jpg
    A W Bombs 2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Ammo Box .303 1.jpg
    Ammo Box .303 1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 369
  • Ammo Box .303 2.jpg
    Ammo Box .303 2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 360
  • Unknown Box 1.jpg
    Unknown Box 1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 92
I only ever see those signs on their own at fairs and in adverts?
I assume the hidden box rotted away leaving the grenades for some poor sod to discover!
Not sure about the other box,i would ask our resident box Mod in this section?

best

waff

Last edited:
Aldbourne was where the 'original' Band of Brothers were based when in the UK. The huts they lived in were shipped to the US a couple of years ago (nobody here valued them enough to want to save them) and they found loads of artifacts whilst dismantling them- even a vest belonging to one of the B of B that had got into the wall cavities or under the floor boards. Dave

Hi Roger,
Nice boxes especially the H13 for .303. Its nice to see one with its original lid and labels. The last box looks like a tool / spare parts box. I'm pretty sure its not an ammunition box. Does it have any numbers /letters burnt or stamped into the base or ends?
Cheers, hangarman

Hi Everybody,

Thank you all for you very useful feedback. Yes, Rrickoshae is quite correct, Aldbourne is the village where E Company 506th was based during WWII. One of the stables has remained in England and is on public view at Littlecote House. See www.kennetvalleyatwar.co.uk
I've looked very carefully at the tool box and unfortunately I cannot see any stamp marks or branding.
Paul, thank you for the original picture of the box full of SIP grenades - it's the first I have seen!!!
Roger.

The third box has a hasp and staple, can you tell if these are original? If so I would agree that it's a tool box or equipment box.

Hello Roger
The third 'mystery' box looks remarkably like/is most likely a Home Guard spigot mortar tool box, which held the small sledgehammer and pegs for hammering in the legs into the ground. Normally they are stencilled with the details on the outside, but it looks like it has been painted green (possibly done at the time as camo?). Saw one of these boxes for sale on evilbay about 6 months ago - but it was from Netherlands and they wanted about 60 postage (if you believed it would arrive!)
Austin