What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A10 Bathtub test round

Weasel

Premium Member
Here is a interesting round that i picked up years ago, well interesting in the fact that it has a story behind it.
This is i belive a 23mm Russian API/T round feel free to correct me if i am wrong, It came from a seller in the states who had been a high speed photographer working for the US Millitary, One of the jobs he did was to record the impact of these rounds and the results on the then prototype titanium "bathtub" that protects the pilots in the A10.
I was told on which range this was conducted only i cant seem to remember or find the info anymore. The round was given to the photographer as a thankyou/keepsake after the job.
Can anyone else share any light on this?

Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• 23mm 001.jpg
    23mm 001.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 23mm 002.jpg
    23mm 002.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 23mm 004.jpg
    23mm 004.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 48
Interesting.
For a litle while I was at a place that used to fire a % of aden 30mm rounds for the RAF Jaguar down the range & we would take hi speed pics for quality purposes (traj, vel etc).
Always nice when an unusual item with a bit of history pops up.

23 mm ZU

Yes it is definately a 23mm A.P.I.T. Projectile for the Soviet ZU gun with the hardest part of the projectile sheared off due to impact.

Head should be about half an inch longer with a nicely radiused head with an Incendiary pellet glued to it under a Stainless steel windshield.

Attachments

• 23mm APIT A.JPG
    23mm APIT A.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the input guys and for the confirmation of it being what i thought it was, thanks Chris.
Would i be right in assuming that the Russian round was chosen as a test weapon as it was most likely to be the one firing at this plane in combat given the time of the tests.
Best Weasel.

it is round for GSh-23L cannon all right. I have burned remaining of that cannon (see pic) and some drill rounds and I will put some pics one of these days.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Correct !

Thanks for the input guys and for the confirmation of it being what i thought it was, thanks Chris.
Would i be right in assuming that the Russian round was chosen as a test weapon as it was most likely to be the one firing at this plane in combat given the time of the tests.
Best Weasel.

Yes Weasel you are perfectly correct 23mm Anti Aircraft fire was expected to be the main "threat" to the A10 whether it was from either Airborne or ground based 23 mm weapon systems.

Last edited:
Hello,
only wanted to make sure that case pictures in the first post has nothing to do with the GSh-23 except the same caliber and al'saad's picture could make some people think this is the ZSU-23. Of course most projectiles are the same for both calibers - 23mm x115 and 23mm x152B.

Slight Difference of projectiles.

Hello,
only wanted to make sure that case pictures in the first post has nothing to do with the GSh-23 except the same caliber and al'saad's picture could make some people think this is the ZSU-23. Of course most projectiles are the same for both calibers - 23mm x115 and 23mm x152B.

MT LB the projectiles for the ZU and NR weapons are slightly different in both shape and weight- sadly I do not own an NR 23MM to show against a ZU 23MM-the differences are subtle but nonetheless different.