What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aasen round?????

This is one sweet little projectile and was wondering if someone may be able to help in identification. this belongs to a member of my grenade and ordnance forum so it is not mine. this question was posed in my club and there seemed to be a general contention that it is an Aasen round (which I think to be true). Unfortunately I have no dimensions but think it is obviously of the First World War era. Also resembles that German parachute WW1 round that Jeeeensy posted some time back. Any and all help deeply appreciated...Dano

Attachments

• nnnnb.jpg
    nnnnb.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 42
Looks like one of the French pneumatic mortars, a little deformed and missing the nose cap. They also made a hand grenade (probably from the same head) that was almost identical. I think I've got one at home, I'll see if I can find the photos.

Here's mine. Mine has a slightly different tail, but I'm pretty sure its the same piece. I've included a picture of the grenade as well, mine is pretty beat up, but you can still see the same heritage. I think it shows up in a couple of the normal French books, it may have been on a recent post as well, in one of the WWI historic shots on pneumatic stuff.

Attachments

• DSC_0122.jpg
    DSC_0122.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0131.jpg
    DSC_0131.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 21
Hi!
According to me it's 86 mm percussion grenade Excelsior typ B from pneumatic cannon Aasen, Boileau-Debladis also Hachette.

Zonk,
by your reference does the different tail mean anything, or is it just a manufacturing variant?

Wow guys, I was not expecting such overwhelming responce. I certainly appreciate the input and again this is not mine, but wish it were...Dano