What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on for sale item

Well, everything is relative as to what you want to end up with. The 76mm round is missing the fuze adapter/booster piece, but that is the most common and easiest part to find. The projo is proper for that case. The biggest problem, is that the projo has been a rustball and has no original outside surface. You would need to derust it and cover it with bondo and turn it down to make it look nice and then repaint it if that is the look you are going for. I've seen very nice M42 projos go for hundreds of dollars on Ebay. This one isn't nice.

The 20 Pdr looks great! You can always find a smoke marked case in the future. Unless you tell someone about it, no one will ever know the difference.

The 20 pounder is a very nice round, I used to have a whole range of 20 pounders before thinning out my collection. You get a lot of round for your money. Many collectors don't collect post 1945 so that could be why its not sold yet, its a LOT cheaper than the one I used to have.
As for the case, the case length/profile for the APDS case is exactly the same as the smoke version, the key difference being where the crimp is. With the apds it is at the very top, rolled over into the APDS sabot, with the smoke the crimp would be further down to correspond with the groove on the projectile.
I'd go for that one if I were you, Keith the seller is a great guy and is a good contact.
As for the 76mm, well, it depends if you want to wait and pay loads more for a great one or just have an example in your collection, its not really too expensive but, if its missing the adapter/booster piece..............
Dave.

Thanks again for the great advice here :)
Re the 76mm.
I wasn't 100%sure whether it was rusted or just the a poor original casting (being during the war etc) so helpful. I take it they were sprayed green as per modern shells? Any idea on a reference or availability of suitable colour?
Is the fuze booster something I could pick up cheaply?
I am likely to buy based on budget rather than outright condition so happy to compromise if I can make it look reasonable myself.

The projectile color would be either yellow with black lettering for 1942 and earlier, or olive drab with yellow lettering for 1943 to present. The M42 projectiles weren't used much after WWII.

As far as a fuze and adapter go, you could always find a different fuze that has an adapter or uses the larger thread, or obtain an adapter from other collectors in your part of the world, or buy a crappy fuze that has the adapter and swap it out.

Thanks. So an olive drab should do it?
If I went for it on the basis of a small restoration project is it going to be practical?
I have access to evaporust as my Dad uses it, and also a lathe if it needs turning down, though would rather avoid that!
Is the booster just an adaptor between fuze and body? possibly make something maybe?

In terms of colour. Are there specific colours/codes?
Finally how do people redo the stencilling?

I guess the other final factor, at the end of the day am I likely to get much better for not much more outlay?? Too many other interests to be spending excessively!

Cheers :)
Andrew

Last edited: