What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aircraft Practice Bomb 11.5lb Mark 1

ammocat

Ordnance approved
Moderators, if you feel this story is inappropriate, please delete the thread.

An Aircraft Practice Bomb 11.5lb Mark 1 was recently found in a private residence when the home was purchased by a new owner. The owner call the police, who in turned called the EOD Response Team. The description provided by the home owner made the EOD personnel believe that they were going to recover a mortar projectile. The home owner was instructed not to move the item and wait for the arrival of EOD. Having more important things to do the home owner decided to move the item outside, but for safety covered it with a life jacket. Fortunately the item did not contain any explosives, but obviously the preferred outcome would have been to have the home owner not touch it.

The bomb is marked R.C.A.F. REF 12 S.S.E.-44

Normally the bomb would have to be destroyed as the EOD center has several for training personnel. They are no cutaways though, so it was decided to modify this one to make a new training aid. Unfortunately there was some minor damage during the cutting and the guide bush was broken. Some pieces are missing, so the safety plunger and plunger spring will have to be replaced. The bomb will be cleaned up and repainted.

I would like to make a Charge Spotting 11.5lb Practice Bomb for it and I have a technical desciption and line drawing of the spotting charge. From the description I have the spotting charges were made of kraft paper covered with lacquer. White lacquer for white spotting charges and brown lacquer for brown spotting charges. The spotting charges were marked with Spotting Charge Brown Smoke and Night Flash or Spotting Charge Smoke White Low Level.

Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of one. If anyone has any photos of the spotting charge for this type of bomb I would appreciate it if they would post them.

Attachments

• Pracbomb.jpg
    Pracbomb.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Pracbombca.jpg
    Pracbombca.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Pracbombcacu.jpg
    Pracbombcacu.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Pracbombmarkings.jpg
    Pracbombmarkings.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 82
Hi Ammocat,
Though this is a different pattern to the 81/2 and 11lb practice bombs seen locally i thought they all used a no.28 detonator burster,(a long ,skinny brass cart. with a short fat head.) That ruptured the case and released the Titet. filling.
A paper disc covered the primer(?) and this denoted the type/size of charge.
Possibly what you are talking about or are they very different?
I think i've got some drawings,will try to post if needed.
cheers,
Bob

Kahu1, thanks for the response. I think we are talking about the same thing. The Detonator-Burster #28 Mk 1 initiates the spotting charge. The detonator-burster fits inside the det burster tube in the spotting charge. I would like to make the spotting charge so if I paint a kraft paper tube white and lacquer it it should be suitable. The technical reference I have explains the markings, but I would really like to get a photo of the markings.

I would appreciate any drawings or information you have. I have attached the information that I am working off right now. I blanked out the chemical composition of the various smoke charges just to be on the safe side.

Cheers,
Cam.

Attachments

• Description1.JPG
    Description1.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Description2mod.JPG
    Description2mod.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Identification.JPG
    Identification.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 33