What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Quiet on the Western Front

Last night on Turner Classic Movies there was a showing of All Quiet on the Western Front. This was the original 1930 version with Lew Ayres which incidently won the academy award for best picture. It is a classic picture highlighting the fruitlessness of war and centering on a young generation of German recruits. A true classic.....Dano

I've got both on dvd and still find the original more authentic when it came to uniforms and weapons. . I've never seen so many gew98 in my life .class movie with a strong message .

Yep Darrol, with the original being made in 1930, one would imagine all the original equipment and arms being readily available, the later version with Johnboy the equipment was STINKO. Look at the helmets as they are obviously plastic or fiberglass and the bayonets are a laugh. Unfortunately in my DVD collection I only have the newer version which makes it doubly sweet when the original shows on cable. I never miss it........Dano

I know what you mean .there must have been plenty of surplus equipment and uniforms knocking about.
it may please you to know that there is another remake in production . .this time staring Daniel Radcliffe(harry potter) as johnboys character.
im hoping they go all out on it and not cut corners when it comes to accuracy . . esp the rifles. . too many films centering around ww1 have the wrong weapons. .a pet hate of mine :) .
cheers.Darrol

I think filmmakers of today will pay attention to period correctness of weapons and equipment. I had not heard of the new remake. Please let me know when it is available. I think most war flicks made in the 1970's were mostly poor when it came to authentic weapons and equipment....Dano