What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All strangely quiet?

waffenamt

Hi Lads,
Any of you guys notice a lack of sales and things to buy on the collecting front lately?
A pal told me that the Birmingham show was dead compared to previous climes?

Has the recession finally bitten and people are sitting on their stash?

cheers

waff

Hi Lads,
Any of you guys notice a lack of sales and things to buy on the collecting front lately?
A pal told me that the Birmingham show was dead compared to previous climes?

Has the recession finally bitten and people are sitting on their stash?

cheers

waff
For sale......I agree.
To swap........loads out there
:wink:
Dave.

I noticed that there were fewer stalls at Detling this year than I have seen in the past. There also didn't seem to be as many people walking around. Maybe it is because people just don't have the money at the moment.

I think it's the lack of new blood. We are all used to the common items for sale now, and dont see them anymore, and only looking for a new kind of ammo. And as im looking for German Navy items, it's hard for me to find what i dont have, but every bourse il see loads of items that are already in the collection. I think the sources are drying up.

When you think about it theres only a finite amount of ordnance about especially from ww1 ,ww2 and the fifties and sixties. In the last five years there seems to have been a dramatic decline in the avalibility of stuff.maybe its all been collected?

Hopefully the numbers of collectors/buyers starts to dwindle after the mad onslaught of late.
Speaking as a collector not a seller. The "buyers" have prices on a lot of items out of sight and reach of blue collar collectors like myself. For me, the less competition the better. I know it sounds greedy but I'm not collecting to make guys rich because buyers with more money than GOD will pay anything to get what they WANT.
Maybe some of the crap/clutter on the auction sites will start to clear up too.
Well I can dream can't I?

end of rant
Carry on

I think it is a collective of issues here.
The number of people interested, the stigma that is percieved with having an interest in such items, the laws restricting the ownership/buying/selling etc, cost/the current economy & of course availability.
I rebuild classic 70`s & 80`s Kawasaki`s as a sideline & it is interesting to see how the current economic climate has made my collection (23 + spares!) fluctuate in value & desirability.
I will be am waiting to see 2014-2018 as to see if there is any interest in a 100 year old item from a well documented & recorded world event?
I have the feeling this thread may go hand in hand with a couple of others currrently being debated here?

I can only say go to Ciney, plenty items to buy, or if you are a member of ECRA there is a big show in Germany 23-24 september at Hessisch Oldendorf, Ben

Ben What date is Ciney as would love to go again?
As an ECRA member I find the documentation requirement for the Germany meeting too much like hard work - which brings me exactly to a part of my earlier comment!!!