What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazing plane : Test of the F-35 b on USS Wasp , Newport News (Hampton Roads)

Pretty amazing! Check out the directional nozzle pointing down when it takes off.

As I remember, those tests were done when the ship was stationary or moving very slowly, at best. Has anyone seen any more recent videos when the carrier was underway at normal speed, or in windy or rough sea conditions?

Ray

Hi kz11gr,an amazing plane,very stable in the hover,in the video watch the nozzle bay doors vibrate,there could be a future fatigue problem there,thanks for posting,
Cheers,
Don,

Watching the landing on the runway near the end, I'd be more concerned with the side to side flex on the nose gear. Good looking airplane, but I'm not sure its worth my tax dollars.

We need to do something since the Al Quaida(sp?) just smoked a whole bunch of the AV8B's trying to get to Prince Harry. Thank God they didn't succeed in their intended target, but, in addition to the casualties, it has seriously hurt Marine Aviation at a time they can ill afford it. Regards, Bruce.

The birds are more than likely out of the Navy test facility at Patuxent River, though they have the Wasp's (test squadron?) stenciled on their tails. There was a write up in Marines Mag interviewing Marine Major Rusnok, one of the pilots of the two birds filmed. The Wasp is a LHD (LHD-1) and part of the hardly heralded Amphibs, so, while it can steam faster than most of it's gator brethren, top speed is 23 knots, so no speed demon. After watching the video again, I have to agree with kz11gr about the exhaust. The yellow shirt almost got knocked in the drink on the first STOL and you see he learned his lesson the second time around when he hunkered down kissing the deck. Cheers, Bruce.