What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American 6 pounder Question -

Gspragge

Premium Member
Does any one have U.S. Navy information on this pattern.
It was issued and if the protruding base can be explained that
will do the same for the 1 Pdrs of the same design (No 3pdrs seen yet)
All of the 1 pdrs (4 I think it is last count) have damaged bands so there are no markings left.
(no band, replaced band, over polished band - you name it ! )

Attachments

• 6pdr-protruding base.jpg
    6pdr-protruding base.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
A production error???? The projectile missed the lathe base trimming step during production???

See diagram of U.S. Navy 6pdr (below) from Ammunition Instructions for the Naval Service 1923

This clearly shows the trimmed/flat projectile base and tracer/fuze well.

Brian

Attachments

• ammunitioninstru00unit_0199.jpg
    ammunitioninstru00unit_0199.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
This is no error, this and 1Pdrs were made this way, but I think not for long as it was unnecessary
as your image shows and all later than 1910 examples show. It is Marked S. T. Special which is very
unusual and seems to indicate a special purpose and it might be as simple as Semple Tracer Special. I think we
will have to find a 1910 USN memo or something to pin it down. This projectile has nothing in the
hole, the 1 pdrs have a brass plug.

Attachments

• 1 pdr.Unkown U.S. protruding Base.jpg
    1 pdr.Unkown U.S. protruding Base.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 27
British 3pr of 1915 mkV T have a protruding base into which the tracer unit fitted, this also features on 4in practice for WWII. The shape is not quite the same but similar and unthreaded. Probabley no help in solving your question.