What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American projectile, but what is it exactly and why Oh why did I buy it ~

Gspragge

Premium Member
I likely should have avoided it but I didn't ~
So aside from the gray overaint , nickle plating, hole in the base and no visible markings it's not bad ~
It's 16" long and a diameter taken just below the band is ; 4 11/16" (118mm) ~
The gray painted cast brass base is actually made to fit a 4.5" Howitzer projecr when made into a lamp.
This just fit as the base is slightly rounded. Also a No 80 fuze was in it, though I need a new top piece for that.
I don't dare as what this s worth ~ :eek:
I doesn't photograph well ~

Attachments

• P1000970.jpg
    P1000970.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 94
  • P1000971.jpg
    P1000971.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 94
Looking at the first photo, it appears to be a U.S. WWI 4.7 inch Gun HE projectile. The double crimping grooves are characteristic of that gun's ammo.

The second photo is very confusing. In real life the projo would have been school bus yellow.

Is this a fixed round ? The secound item is a brass base made for the British/Canadian 4.5" Howitzer rounds that
were made into lamps at wars end. I wonder if we made any of these 4.7s in Canada in 1918 for the U.S. , it's possible
and would account for it's presence here ~ I'll have to try to find out.

I found the information, so we made these projectiles in Canada. It likely never had a fuze and I believe the filling was done
in the U.S.. So does anyone have the appropriate shipping plug for this projectile ? I can certainy exchange a Canadian plug
for it if that helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 11.21.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 11.21.59 AM.png
    348.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I see that this is a fixed round. But I won't worry about a case as this projectile I'm sure never
was never near one or a fuze or any filling being left over production when orders were cancelled
at the wars end. But a shipping plug would certainly be nice.
Well now to remove the paint and contemplate the plating underneath, nickle I hope and
not adhearing too well over time so I can get it off. Images to follow as I proceed ~

Here it is, paint off. Almost no flaking or rust breaking through so this has been in a dry place.
Well hoping it comes off -

Attachments

• P1000983.jpg
    P1000983.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
It seems that with effort and time I am able to scrape & peel
the plating from the surface, a first. This reveils a highly polished
smooth body. Well i've nothng much better to do ~
The question is now, were these supplied as unpainted bodies or
were they painted ? And the plug issue - they would have been shipped
with something in them. Maybe wood plugs ?

Attachments

• P1000993.jpg
    P1000993.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 26
Gordon, I was going through a collection of files I downloaded from the Bulletpicker website, and I strayed across this little jewel I thought you might like.

Attachments

• IMG_8737.jpg
    IMG_8737.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 39
Thanks, I'll have to look at the fuzes for this, but as to an adaptor.
Well that will be impossible to find up here so the projectile will likely remain
an unpainted blank example I suspect.
It may depend upon what fuze was intended; The "Russian" type adoped as the MKll fuze was made up here in 1918 by Russell Motor Car as I had one or what
was left of it quite a few years ago. If Mk lll or lV were used an adaptor would certainly be needed. Finding another of these MKlls is I think beyond hope ~

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 2.58.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 2.58.04 PM.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I cannot recall ever seeing a 4.7 inch projectile before - vary rare. The cases do show up every once in a while.

Well it's comng along. After this dries I'll sand it and apply a secound coat then fine wool it or fine emery
paper to cut the shine. I'm not too keen on repainting things, but occasionaly with bare clean already poilished
surface it will offer some protection. I used some pretty coarse grit on it to give the surface some texture as the original machining marks were lost. I cant't imagine that at 45 pounds or so with the brass base that this was a big seller as a lamp, but it did let it survive.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to plug or fuze, niether of which will be likely found up here.
It's looking a little orangy to me at this stage ~
It's also possible that it was shiped south for filling with a wood plug like this only larger. This one was made to fit the contract 75mm
projectiles.

Attachments

• P1010015.jpg
    P1010015.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 17
  • P1010016.jpg
    P1010016.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
4.7 inch manufactured in Canada.

Attachments

• 111-SC-56082 (4.7 inch Canada).jpg
    18.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 111-SC-56293 (4.7 inch Canada)a.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 16
OMG !!!!!!!! Off goes the yellow ~ Well, wood plugs, at least I got something ritht !
Though I may have to make one, those just didn't survive.

Do you have any other images of what this factory made.

Many Thanks BD - those are great images.

Attachments

• P1010020.jpg
    P1010020.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 12
  • P1010022.jpg
    P1010022.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: