What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ammo box or ???

Hi all, Some years ago I bought a small grenade collection. The grenades came in this wooden box and not sure if military or not. Worst of all some YUTZ painted it puke green. The hardware appears old. The inside of the lid is ID'd to an H.A. MEYERS which makes me believe that it may be military and probably more of a barracks box rather than an ammo box. Measurments are as follows: height 10 inches, length 22 1/2 inches, width 16 inches. I know this is a stretch at best, a real shot in the dark. Opinions??..Dano

Attachments

• Picture 178.jpg
    Picture 178.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture 179.jpg
    Picture 179.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Picture 180.jpg
    Picture 180.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Hi Dano
Think your guess about the box being a barrack box is correct,I had one very simiular(but in black) called a foot locker over here,you are 100% correct about the colour,wouldn't like to look at for too long if I was drunk mate!
Cheers Tony

ouster the green

Yep Tony, Reminds me of a color the wife would paint the bathroom with! I'm going to strip it and who knows what'll turn up under the paint. I assume it is military, with the owner stenciled ID and the fact it came with a small grenade collection and the metal re-inforced joints. Even if just bare wood shows up under the paint I would be safe in assuming that there is a 99% chance it's gonna look at least better....Dano

Strippers

Spotter, when I strip I carefully remove 1 layer at a time (tricky business) paying particular care in places where I suspect stenciling may be. This box is so heavy duty, have to believe it is WWI era, but not versed in the area of boxes so really I don't know. It is I.D.'d to owner on inside lid, but may well be unit marked on outside...Dano