What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An after action report and damage assessment

Slick

The battle/engagement took place during the Guadalcanal campaign, Nov. 13, 1942, to be exact. US vs. Japanese Navy. As I understand it, the bulk of the action took place at night. In the 1000-8000 yard range. That's close in ship fighting scenarios. The fact that the USS San Francisco CA-38 absorbed at least 45 hits from 5"-14" projectiles and did not sink is, well, amazing. And, it had a couple or three planes crash into it. Not minor events, themselves. I've never seen a report like this. Maybe because a lesser ship would have been sunk and unavailable for forensic study. I spent a couple of years on a WW2 vintage CL(converted to CLG). Not sure as THAT crew would have been as manly in a similar situation. Way too many sissy-babies.

Anyway, here's the report: http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/CA38/GuadalcanalDamageRpt.html

There's lots of pictures, so former sailors should have no trouble enjoying the info. :captain:

Last edited:
Looks like the Japanese gunners were well trained and efficient. And the San Francisco well built!! Would like to know how well her efforts were . Thanks for this most interesting post.

Yes, the Japanese sailors were not rookies, in any case. And had more experience and skills during nightly encounters. The US was lucky as the main Japanese force, errantly, left the battle. Had bad intel. Thought there were more US forces than there actually were. Yamamoto was rightly pissed and canned the fleet admiral afterwards.