What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Early Handgun

Birdseye

BOCN Contributor
I collect arms and armor from the late medieval and early renaissance period primarily. That said, being an American, I am, naturally, heavily armed. "Heavily Armed" means "Heavily Armed" hence my interest in shells and fuses and the like.

In any event, my interests are earlier rather than later, if you follow me. In that spirit, I recently obtained the handgun barrel illustrated.

It is from Portugal and was found in the vicinity of the site of the battle of Aljubarrota; the battle took place in 1385.

Length 7"
Bore ~1.5"
Weight 3.5kg

Attachments

• DSC00070.jpg
    DSC00070.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00071.jpg
    DSC00071.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 6
Heavy Artillery !

Blimey Birdseye with a short barrel and large bore I wonder if they could hit the proverbial "Barn door" with that ?

By the time you had managed to get the fire into the "touchole" I reckon you would stand more chance of blowing your foot off.:ahhhhh:

Having siad all that I expect it was quite advanced for those days ?

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

It is about 75 years or so after the Milemet manuscript that shows that vase shaped cannon thingie so it is not the first example, so to speak. I am slowly making a stock for it and afterward perhaps I'll put a bit of powder in it and shoot a blank for the camera. I suspect that it was originally a sort of shotgun: pebbles or other scraps were the projectiles. I wouldn't have any qualms shooting a blank with it but I would not do anything that would generate any appreciable pressure.