What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Collection Seized

We will have to see if they are really prohibited weapons or lawfully deactivated. Funny that they never mention lawfully owned collections, or indeed appologise for media mistakes!

The media just wants to make a big story, when really its nothing. I dont think "Police find over 40 deactivated firearms" would make good news lol! On the other hand, what kind of missile is that?

Is it actually a missile, or a dummy? Never seen nozzles that small (relative), unless that is just a cover on the bottom?

I have just merged another new post from today on the same topic into this existing thread which was posted yesterday ,

Last edited:
..."And there's one in the spot light, he don't look right to meee....get him up against the wall. .." (Pink Floyd, 1979, The Wall).

Hard to ID any of the items. What are the two large pieces in the top right of this photo? In the photos they look too small for bombs, but do not appear to have rotating bands - or seats, as many of the projectiles are missing their bands.

article-2694733-1FB078FC00000578-970_634x866.jpg

Look like 155 H projs to me?. & as said cut down length (theres a few others `sectioned` the same in other pics)
Looking at condition & lack of drive bands on a few items I wonder if they have come from a scrap yard?

Look like 155 H projs to me?. & as said cut down length (theres a few others `sectioned` the same in other pics)
Looking at condition & lack of drive bands on a few items I wonder if they have come from a scrap yard?

When I worked at Woolwich Arsenal, rounds were cut lengthwise with a bandsaw as in those pictures, then the RDX/TNT was either steamed out or burnt off. The empty halves were checked for residue, then consigned to the scrap pile. The old railway sidings had gone by 1969 when I started there, but there were plenty of staves made from railway sleepers which were used to store scrap of different types. One was full of cut shell-halves, another had rocket motors and aluminium, and another was usually full of brass fuses. These were collected a couple of times a year and prpesumably ended up in a scrapyard. I remember a huge mountain of 2 inch mortars and little horseshoe shaped charges. We used to raid the one with rocket motors and remove the gyroscopes. There were also a load of storage tube with a small rocket in each one. If you removed it from the tube, the four fins would snap open and lock and you couldn't get it back in the tube again. Every so often, the man with a JCB would use the bucket to flatten the pile so more could be added. We always used to look through it when another lorry full of bits was tipped onto it. Somebody could easily have built up a collection of cut halves and various bits if they didn;t mind losing their job if caugh. None were practice AFAIK except for the blue APDS rounds which we smashed open for the heavy tungsten projectile in the middle to use as door stops.

Last edited:
I suspect the man's cutlery drawer contents would be more dangerous. How many times have we seen collections of de activated shells called weapons and firearms? The press have no integrity and the Police feed them inaccurate and sensational headlines.

Telling tales to the public should be an offence.