What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another ID required

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I have been told that the item in the pictures is something to do with a Torpedo, but I have no idea if this is true or if it is what country or period it is from. Item is just under 26cm tall and 9cm in diameter. Any suggestions welcome.

BD

Attachments

• unknown torp.jpg
    unknown torp.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 73
  • unknown torp1.jpg
    unknown torp1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 72
  • unknown torp2.jpg
    unknown torp2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 57
Torpedo Exploder;

Berny,
Yes it is an exploder from a WWII torpedo. Italian I think. It has been just tooo long from school. Similar to a SIC Activator.
Regards,
John aka Bart

I hope it's ok that I keep waking old topics in my search for torpedo-realted information...

This item reminds me of a depth/roll recorder used in an exersice-head (se attached photos). It should be very simple to determine the correct answer by removing the cover and take a look at the internal mechanism... (photos would be most appreciated).

Attachments

• ger_rec.jpg
    ger_rec.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 25
  • tp_head.jpg
    tp_head.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 26
This item reminds me of a depth/roll recorder used in an exersice-head (se attached photos)
Uh... I need to stop trusting my memory :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Something felt wrong about this so after a little digging, I realize that it was not the german recording instrument, but the original german canister for the carbide smoke-charge...
In my defence, it has been 27 years since I handled this item. In RNoN service it was replaced sometime in the 70's or 80's with a disposable canister which was opened manually by a "soda-can type" ring just before loading the torpedo into the tube (the carbide as an aid for locating the torpedo was finally replaced by a radio-transmitter in 1987).

I don't have a german illustration for the canister, but I found one in the 1946 Spanish Navy manual for the G7a torpedo (attached with a couple of photos showing the smoke generated by the carbide after the G7a torpedo has reached the end of it's run).

Again: I felt it was useful to post due to it's similarity to the object in question.

Attachments

• IMG_3222.jpg
    IMG_3222.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 33
  • G7 exercise-head (1982).jpg
    G7 exercise-head (1982).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 23
  • G7 exercise-head (ww2).jpg
    G7 exercise-head (ww2).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 23