What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Mills No. 5 I Base Plug

URG86-collector

Hi there,

after the 'Dover ltd' was identified that quickly, I would like to join with a question to theexperts.

Any chance to identify this one de
spite the damage?

No5_I_BasePlug_IMG_5525.jpg

And by the way: What does the 'V'-shaped mark (arrow?) in the center stand for ?

Thanks in advance and best wishes from germany.

Last edited:
The 'Broad Arrow' was the official stamp of the British military for many years.

The plug could be Vickerys Patents of South London. V P Ltd. Their brass plugs had V P Ld L (L for London or possibly Lewisham).

Another possibility is W.E. B Ltd. In fact on a closer look I think this is the better bet.

John

Last edited:
Thanks a lot !
I again had a look at the base plug. The engraved line on the right side of the damage (just before 'Ltd') could actually be the remnant of a 'B'.
Happy with that 'B'. :)

According to the typeface I again searched http://www.millsgrenades.co.uk/ and I stumbled across this one:

hb.jpg
(© - all rights and credits belong to the owner of the above mentioned website - this is a superb collection)

Could H & B Ltd.- Howard Bullier - in December 1915 be an option for my base plug too ?

Best wishes from germany.

Yes H & B quite possible though corrosion has affected your plug. The photo is not fully clear.

Yes, Dave's collection is the best I know. I only collect WW1 base plugs and have been trying to catch him up for years!

John