What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any ideas please?????????

Chris 42 RQ

Well this one has me completely baffled, it is fully INERT and the shell has a wax filling of fairly modern production which throws the dates off by a couple of years.

It is not like any round I have seen so far.
It is a Brass drawn case which looks like it has been in an accident as you can see the projectile is very slightly out of line with the case and the case "shoulder" is not even but the really heavy duty crimp still holds fast!
The shell appears to be made from "one piece" of material and is inert wax filled-I believe this wax only came into use circa 1965 so what then is it doing in a round dated 7/57 ??????

There is a "locating" cutout filed/cut into the rim and a splash of the good old Purple paint has been daubed on to both the side in the rim and over some of the base.
The primer (oiled) resembles that of a 12 bore shotgun cartridge primer c/w holder, propellant has been removed by drilling a side hole which is fairly small and must have taken a lot of time to empty as it tok me ages to get one last "rattler" out of it to see if indeed it was even a propellant (it was!).
Other small but possibly vital points are:-
Base cutout has a heavily scribed line leading from its centre along the centre line of the case for approx 35mm.
Electro pen etched with the words;-Link 5421 data (pretty sure it is data)
opposite side is etched misfeed 7.
Base is etched lot J 7/57 and what may or may not be RG (definate R not sure of the G) and also on the base is a heavily scribed line which goes from the centre line of the primer towards the cutout.
Calibre seems to be 24.25mm on the body with a max diameter of 26mm over the band and rim diameter is 33.7mm with a case length of 108mms
One last thing is that the projectile has EXP stamped very heavily into it and it may not be meaning experimental as the projectile has been cut off at that point, so there may have been more?
Any help would be greatly appreciated=thank you

Attachments

• BOCN 4A.jpg
    BOCN 4A.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 85
  • BOCN A1.jpg
    BOCN A1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 124
  • BOCN 2A.jpg
    BOCN 2A.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 102
  • BOCN 3A.jpg
    BOCN 3A.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 99
  • BOCN 5A.jpg
    BOCN 5A.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Pressure gun?

Would this round be for a pressure gun of some kind? The small hole and the locating slot would seem to suggest this. But no idea of what gun or device it was ultimately intended for!

R.

my two cents

This may be a prototype. The"PAINT" looks like layout ink.It sometimes looks like paint , but is used in laying out scribed lines so that you can see them better. Also the ink is where machining has been done. The scribing on the base leads creadence that this a prototype.

Keep the ideas coming

All I can say about this item is this-if it is for real then it is experimental and from some very obscure project but the wax filling has raised my suspicions as it sort of nullifies the 57 date (if that is indeed what it is?)

Also it is one of a pair of which both have the words "Link" and "Misfeed" along with the same "7/57" and the other one has clear "RG" etched into the case.
An x ray reveals a very long "Boat tail" on the shell inside the case.
The other case has also been damaged in the same way with the shell being slightly askew in the case but again the really heavy crimp has retained the projectile securely.

I really would like to know what the end of the projectile looked like.??

Tomc769-the paint is just that-the old experimental Purple paint applied with the customary broom-the scribe line on the side has no "Marking Blue" around it which would be the norm and the base line is just cut through the paint.

Any ideas at all please.

Just bumping this thread as I was sure that someone here would be able to point me in the right direction regarding this one as we have a few ex experimental workers here?

I have seen similar rounds to this one that were for special purposes but not in this calibre.
Thank you all for your help.