What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Ideas?

khanmak

These images are to go with an article on Tyneham villiage at Lulworth. They are to illustrate the dangers of unexploded ammunition and will be captioned accordingly. Any ideas what they are? I think the splatted round is a 120mm Squash Head Practice, but the other not sure. Its seems to be from a 2 part round, think the 120mm SH-P is one part?
ID greatly appreciated
:tinysmile_shy_t:

Attachments

• Lulworth.jpg
    Lulworth.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Lulworth2.jpg
    Lulworth2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 99
banana

I'm not sure what they are, but wanted to say that projectile in thumbnail 2 is awesome. It peeled like a banana. Cool...Dano

I dont have any more pics unfortunately or anything to give scale as I didnt take the pics. The one thats splatted looks like its exploded, but I think its just the result of hitting the rocks with the mega high velocity that a 120mm tank round has!! Voting so far for pic 2 is Practice HESH still!
:tinysmile_shy_t:

120 mm L11 Prac SH

The second picture that shows a shell that has peeled like a Banana is definately a Practice Squash Head of 120 MM calibre most likely for the L11 and the filling is the Inert wax filler used by R.O.F.'s for the past 20 to 25 years.

The 120 MM P/SH shell is a five part design consisting of Alloy nose cap (screwed in) Forged steel body and Alloy Base plug (screwed into the forged steel body) and finally 4 Copper clad in Tracer units (secured by small screwed in covers).

As for the first picture I think it may well be the nose section of a largish Practice Bomb.

Attachments

• 120MM L11 PRAC.JPG
    120MM L11 PRAC.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
here a picture of the 105mm practice L42

Attachments

• user1085_pic774_1241903447.jpg
    user1085_pic774_1241903447.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 33