What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any ideas?

MG34NZ

A mate found these recently, Im thinking possiably training aids with what looks like smoke emission holes? Look a lot like mines. Anyone have any clue?
MG34NZ

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 233
not 100% sure on id ,but ive seen these before at work and if i remember correctly theyre the practice version of the british MK7 anti tank mine.

The metal parts look right for Mk 7 A/Tk mines. In Uk service Drill mines were painted white (and later dark blue to the 1964 NATO standard of markings) and were made of concrete. I think there was a separate Practice mine representing the Mk 7 (the L2A1?). The Practice version of the Mk 7 had an associated fuze with a smoke unit (L1A2?). I believe the idea was that a Practice mine could be re-used a number of times, each time using a fresh fuze/smoke unit. I was never involved with any investigations but occasionally people were killed by the fuze/smoke unit in training, probably due to incorrect use.

Thanks for the input guys, Its good to ID the mystery objects.
As a matter of interest these came out of a river behind the magazines at a military base in NZ, found by a collector friend in the military. He has also reported a number of them in use around the base as door stops...very cool door stops.
Regards
MG34NZ

British MK7 - A/T (Concrete practice))

Used in training lovingly referred to has "The Concrete Handbag" the holes are to add the accept the fuse cover plate removel tool.

Eodone:smile:

Mine Train for MK7 A/T.

Folks best image I can find of the Mine laying system for this mine it was used to lay them by the 1000's during cold war training in BAOR.
EODONE:angel:

Attachments

• minelaying.jpg
    minelaying.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 51
Folks best image I can find of the Mine laying system for this mine it was used to lay them by the 1000's during cold war training in BAOR.
EODONE:angel:

Thanks for the additional info! I have now taken delivery of the "concrete hand bag"....HEFTY little bugger it is to!

Cheers
MG34NZ