What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any info on this US 75mm ?

Weasel

Premium Member
Hi All,
Picked this case up years ago, but never found out anything about it, very profusely stamped and over stamped around the edge on the head stamp. Also the neck of the case has a double line of crimp marks at different heights, I am going to take a guess that NYAB is the manufacturer, the only ref i can see for that is New York Air Brake company but i don't know if they made cases ?
Any info would be much appreciated, Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• 75mm US Case 001.jpg
    75mm US Case 001.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 75mm US Case 002.jpg
    75mm US Case 002.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 75mm US Case 003.jpg
    75mm US Case 003.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 75mm US Case 005.jpg
    75mm US Case 005.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 84
Can't help with the NYAB manufacturer's code. I do not have it in my listings. The case is the M18 brass case (as opposed to the M18B1 steel case substitute) for the 75mm field gun (FG). The primer was made at Picatinny Arsenal and I am not sure form the photo which one it is. Rounds loaded with excessive propellant charges used the M31, 150 grain primer. Shrapnel rounds used either the Mk I 49-grain or M1B1 100 grain primer. For most rounds the M22 65 grain primer was standard. The case could have been loaded with several projectiles (APC, AP Shot, HE, Smoke
[HC, WP, FM, FS], Persistent Gas [H, NC, CNS], or Shrapnel.

Any info on this U.S. 75mm?

Hello EODGUY,

I'm going to have to disagree with you. The brass casing isn't an M18 but rather a WWI era U.S. casing for our 75mm Field Gun. It's obviously been reconditioned with the two level crimping indentations and the 1929 dated primer.

Best regards,

Randall

I agree with Randall (Shelldude). WWI 75mm Field Gun case, looks like it has been reloaded a few times by the crossed markings on the headstamp, and last reloaded in 1929, or someone pulled a 1929 primer out of storage for reloading later.

In my part of the country, French 75s were issued to the Army National Guard and used for artillery training in the 1920s and 1930s. The Guard Armory was right on the Eastern edge of the city, and the troops would take the guns to a plateau about 1/2 mile from the armory and fire HE and shrapnel rounds up into the foothills above the city. The foothills are littered with shrapnel bodies to this day.

Thank you for all the info, and to confirm that it was NYAB New York Air Brake who made the case. As i cant see a initial loading date on the case and as you have pointed out the primer is dated from a reloading as 1929 then it may be as early as 1915. The two different hieghts of crimping ring would indicate two different projectile types, does anyone have any pictures to show these ?
Best regards Weasel.

My bad!!! Sorry for the wrong information. I didn't take the time I should have to respond. I'll try to remedy that in the future.

Hi EODGUY, no problem at all, thanks to everyone who has help me out with getting some more info about this case. And thank you Hazord for your pm. Best regards Weasel.