What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any information on British mortar shell?

Tmine35

Premium Member
My pal has this British mortar shell. I know nothing about British ammo, could someone tell me what is the hole on side of this dug-up relic? Is it just drilled afterwards of is this a special shell; smoke or similar?

Attachments

• British mortar.jpg
    British mortar.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 121
Hi T,it looks like a 3" Star,mortar round [para illum].Has it got 3 screws around the top band ? I dont think the hole in the side is original ,regards Dave

Thanks Dave,
I'll ask further details from my friend and revert then.

Got some more details from my friend.
-There are no screws around top band.
-In mouth there are remains of a cut fuze ( aluminium ).
-The hole on side obviously has been drilled to remove the charge.
-Shell material thickness is 5-8mm.
-There are some stamped markings, hardly readable but something like this:
3" MOR SMK
10 LB
DEL
FS
5 38
CM ( or OM )
and a couple of arrows around

Possibly this is just an ordinary HE-shell?

Attachments

• British mortar-2.jpg
    British mortar-2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Evening T sorry for the first opinion i was not looking at the first picture close enough . What your friend has is a 3" mortar smoke bomb ,10lb , it looks like a mark 1 with 2 guide bands and was filled from the side through a charging hole that had a plug [the hole in the bomb is probably were the plug was ] . The bomb was filled with white phosphorous and was made in several marks only the mark 1 had the side filling hole .The remains of the fuse is probably a No152 made from Mazack ,regards Dave