What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone any infomation please?!

dalimac

Hi there,

we have been metal detecting and recently found lots of different world war 2 cartridges on the beach. We live in Southport NW England and was wondering if anyone had any information how they all got there or any information at all please!

1 x RG 1942 20MM
4 x RH 1942 20MM
1 x BMARC 1941 20MM-IZ ( then a letter B in a diamond <B> )
3 x K2 1943 20MM
1 x H 1942 20MM
1 x GB 1942 VIV
2 x k2 1943 VII

Thank you very much

Ali and Dale

Last edited:
Southport! Thats not so far from were i live.
Only explanation i can can think of is perhaps it was captured ammo being tested?

cheers

waff

British 20mm
RG = Radway Green
RH = Raleigh (as in pedal cycles) (If my memory serves me correctly)
BMARC = British Manufacturing and Research Company
K2 = ICI, Kynoch, Standish
H = I don't know

GB = Greenwood + Batley
k2 = ICI, Kynoch, Standish

Tim. G.

The H is from Halls telephone Company, Dowlais, South Wales. Found only on Hispano 20mm manufactured between 1939-45.

Leo M.

Thats my `captured ammo test` theory up the creek! Its all Brit ammo then eh?

I really ought to study small arms codes a bit more!:xd:

Thanks guys for the help on this.

best

waff

Last edited:
I think the <B> is Bridgeport Brass Co., Connecticut, USA. They manufactured 20mm Hispano cases with the BMARC headstamp to be loaded by the British Manufacturing and Research Company in Grantham, Lincs. There are also cases found marked "BMARC" without the diamond. These were made by Kynoch.

I take it the last two are .303 Rifle cartridges. Are you sure the headstamp on "GB 1942 VIV" actually says that and not "VII"? The "VII" on British .303 Ammunition indicates a Ball Mark 7 bullet. There never was a "VIV" headstamp.

just cleaned it up a bit more and yes it is VII. I presume the bottom two were some kind of hand ammunition as they were alot smaller!

Thank you to everyone for your help!

The 20mm Cases were fired in the Hispano-Suiza HS.404 Automatic cannon, which was an aircraft and anti aircraft gun of French design that was manufactured and used by the UK during WW2. The smaller rounds are .303 Inch calibre rifle rounds, which were fired from the famous Lee Enfield rifles, the standard issue rifle of UK forces at the time. The .303 was also used in machine guns such as the Vickers, Bren etc.

thankyou to all

here are some pics of my finds some still need cleaning up a little more but they are getting there.

Attachments

• cart1.jpg
    cart1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 82
  • cart 2.JPG
    cart 2.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 65
There was a Air to Ground gunnery range on the beach, it was very popular with Spitfires, Beaufighters and Typhoons operating out of RAF woodvale, some of the targets used were some of the old wrecks acted as targets, they used to turn up regularly in the sand processing plant at the top of the Marine Drive (no longer there)

Enemy ammunition

Thats my `captured ammo test` theory up the creek! Its all Brit ammo then eh?

I really ought to study small arms codes a bit more!:xd:

Thanks guys for the help on this.

best

waff

Mind you, if you live in Southport and the ammo comes from GB in Yorkshire, then I guess it is testing enemy ammunition!

Cheers
TonyE
(originally a Yorkshireman)