What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anything interesting on the isle of wight ?

Hi all.
Im off on holiday to the isle of wight next week. Is there anything of interest military wise there?
Cheers, Paul.
Quite a number of fortifications dating from the 1860s. There was a large Armstrong gun on the beach next to Fort Albert (Brennan Torpedo base) and quad 20mm (they wouldn't let me have it) on Bembridge Down. Fort Victoria and Hawthorn (?) Redoubt, both on the Yarmouth side, are worth a visit. Lots of small batteries and position finding stations. Do the 'Black Knight' installation near the Needles (also fort within - English Heritage I think). Used to be a good militaria shop in Newport.

Check out http://www.palmerstonforts.org.uk/ for general info about the forts of the period and http://www.palmerstonforts.org.uk/data.htm for specific info on each fort.

Last edited:
Not military,but I got "elephants" on an old paddlesteamer/nightclub a time or two in Newport years ago,probably long gone,Oh!!! Happy days!!!

Hi Paul,

some damed fine fishing can be done for Thresher sharks off the IOW too.

Have a great time,

Andy

Isle of Wight

Have just returned from a week in the Isle of Wight. Like the previous post mentions there are a few forts to visit and theres the old rocket testing site near the needles, but you can impress your missus and visit Osborne House (Queen Vics holiday home). Its all very fancy but if you go to the swiss cottage (10 min walk from the house or a short bus ride) theres a cracking childrens trench system complete with cannons. Then go into the childrens museum where you are greeted with a beautiful scale model of a breech loading artillery piece (slightly rusty though). As you are looking at the canon (barrel end) take a look in the display case to your right where you will find two beautiful grenades about 2 " in diameter with lots of nipples all over. They look like tiny mines. Unfortunately they dont allow photos inside otherwise i would have taken some!
The tank museum's worth a visit as well!
Would be interested to know the identity of the grenades and the minature cannon.
Have a great trip,
Hangarman