What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apache flechette rocket

fotomanx

Hi all

Has anyone a Cutdraw and Infos over
the Warhaed from Apache flechette rocket
and the Flechettes ?

Regards Peter

Actually I think the old 2.75 inch flechette warhead is still being used in some cases, but the standard flechette rocket fired from the Apache and the Apache Longbow today is the Hydra 70, M255 or M255A1. Although the Hydra 70 is a design based on the 2.75 inch rocket, the old 2.75 inch designation is not used with it. The M255 carries about 2500 each 28 grain flechettes while the M255E1 or M255A1 carries about 1,180 each 60 grain flechettes. I don't have photos but there is all kinds of information on the rockets on-line.

We covered some of the 2.75-inch flechette stuff in the flechette thread: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/flechettes-t57425p9.html?highlight=flechette

I've got some more newer shots of different warheads someplace, taken about the time of my move, so they never got posted. I'm still playing around, trying to match flechettes with the carrier munitions. I'm only adding them to the database if I see them pulled from the carrier myself or have a copy of a valid technical document - no "I was told from a a friend who knew a guy" identifications.