What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

APC 40mm proj

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I picked this up at a show today. Probably common but I haven't seen one before - are there many about? Well stamped with "AP/C/T 40mm Mk7 PAT LOT 10/51". So post war, but has any one any information on it?

ATB

BD

Attachments

• apc 40mm.jpg
    apc 40mm.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 165
  • apc 40mm 1.jpg
    apc 40mm 1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 102
Hi BD,
Thats a really nice projectile great find. They may be common but i dont think i have seen one before, cant give you any info on it but i am sure one of our fellow members can help out.
Best Weasel.

Experimental possibly.

My money is on it being an "experimental" trial shot !

What is the "cap" made of , Steel or Plastic ?

Last edited:
2-pdr proj?

Hi BD,

Not sure that I can really help you with this, but last year at a militaria fair I bought something that looks very similar. The stampings on it are not very clear, but what I can sse is "APC/T 40M.M.MK8" below which is "PAT LOT 2", then just above the driving band is stamped "AP.C/. 40MM MK8 2 / 5 4 P 9" (the P9 is in much larger letters). On the copper driving-band is a "broad arrow" and what I suspect are 2 inspector's marks. Overall length is about 150mm, and length of cap about 52mm. The tracer cavity goes up into the projectile by about 55mm. All paint gone. The dealer who sold it to me said it was an AP projectile for the 2-pdr Scout Car gun/anti-tank gun. I would like to know if this is correct.

Roger.

Additional

Hi BD,

Should have put in my previous post that the weight without its (missing) tracer is 1217 grams (=2 lb 10.93 ozs) as measured on the kitchen scales!

Roger.

Further correction!

The line of stamping just above the driving band reads AP.C/T.40MM MK8 2 / 5 4 P 9. Left out the T for tracer. Sorry!!
R.

Hi Roger,

Sounds like it is the same projectile, same weight and markings, but my one is a Mk7. So what case would it go in?

BD

Case for proj.

Hi BD,

If my seller was correct, then it goes in the 40 x 304R case. I think that the Daimler Armoured Cars that were fitted with this gun were still being used in the 1950s, so no doubt the ammunition was still being made. No doubt the experts on this site can tell us more.

Roger.

I guess the problem I have is understanding why they would produce this for use in the 50's when they had a much better squeezebore Proj. Mine came with a bofors case but it wasn't crimped and I doubted an original match. Thanks for the comments.

BD

Think I recall reading somewhere that the crews of these armoured vehicles did not like the inconvenience of having to remove the adaptor if they wanted to fire HE rather than the Littlejohn projectile, so possibly it was felt that an "ordinary" AP round was necessary.

I wonder whether anyone can tell us what the difference between the Mk.7 and Mk.8 projectiles were?

Also, can anyone please tell me what colour scheme and markings this 1954-vintage APC/T should have?

Thanks in advance,
Roger.

Interesting

That's not a bad explanation Roger, hadn't thought of that, but why not use the APCR projectile - too expensive for the use it would be put to?

BD

The 1951 Damiler armoured car armament manual lists:

Shot APCBC/T Mk 9
Shot AP/T Mk 9
Shot practice pointed/T Mk 7, 9 and 10
Shell HE HV/T Mk 2
Shot APSV Mk 1
Shot APSV Mk 2

The APCBC is described as the standard service round.

The colours of the shot from the 1951 manual are black body, red markings and blue tip.

The 1951 Damiler armoured car armament manual lists:

Shot APCBC/T Mk 9
Shot AP/T Mk 9
Shot practice pointed/T Mk 7, 9 and 10
Shell HE HV/T Mk 2
Shot APSV Mk 1
Shot APSV Mk 2

The APCBC is described as the standard service round.

The colours of the shot from the 1951 manual are black body, red markings and blue tip.

Thanks Q, so where does an AP/C/T fit in I wonder?

BD

40 m/m A.P.C. Shot. Mk 7T. Remarks: Steel body with penetrative cap.

Source: User Handbook Anti Aircraft Ammunition. 1949.

That seems to confirm its a Bofors projectile and not anything else.