What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Applying For Firearms Certificate

John P

My current small arms collection consists of a modest 250 or so cartridge cases, inert rounds and and drill/dummy items and to enable me to improve on this I'm thinking of applying for a firearms certificate to allow me to hold "live" and AP type rounds.

Can anyone offer some advice, hints, tips or requirements that would assist in the application. I'm not sure if there are any differences in the way small arms ammunition collectors are seen by the various licensing authorities but the authority for where I live is North Wales Police.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Regards

John P

You could join the ECRA European cartridge research association recognised collectors club 3 uk meetings a year as well as lots of meetings all over Europe, newsletter every month well worth the £26 a year

Hi John, I can give you all the advice you need....I have a Section 5 certificate and I live just down the road in Betws-y-Coed. I also have contact details for the FEO who covers our area.
As Millsbomber says your first step should really be to join ECRA, their next meeting is at Bisley on Saturday 27th February.
Jim

Jim/Millsbomber

Thanks for the info. I have been a member or ECRA for a couple of years and I hope to be able to make it to Bisley next month. (Jim I think I still have your email address I'll drop you a line in the next couple of days)

Jim will get you sorted go for the full sect 5 that is the more interesting stuff

all the best and hope to see you at Bisley

Rich

Hi John,
Being an ECRA member is a good move,and include this info in your FAC application.
Ask to hold expanding,AP,and incendiary,then you are covered in all areas.
I got permission to hold any caliber up to 40mm.
You may be offered to hold any caliber,but I think this can be a bit vague as you could slip into artillery ammunition which may
not be covered by small arms act in larger calibers,so personally I think an upper limit in caliber to hold live is then clear cut.
Of course you will have to provide approved security for live rounds.Also think of the maximum amount to hold in your collection.
Hope this helps.
Tim.

Tim,

Thanks for this useful info. What is considered approved security? I currently use a couple of 15 drawer lockable metal "Bisley" cabinets.

Tim,

Thanks for this useful info. What is considered approved security? I currently use a couple of 15 drawer lockable metal "Bisley" cabinets.

They are fine, I have mine with a flat metal bar that padlocks down through the handles to stop the drawers been opened, the origonal lock may be OK it will depend on you Firearms officer.

Rich

Tim,

Hi John,
Rich is right,as long as you satisfy your Firearms officer that your security meets their approval.
I wanted to have my collection displayed, so protected it in a secure room with no windows and protected by a steel door,
and the outer room fitted with a locked fire door as well.I'm a bit security conscious.I wanted the room to be the protection rather than a cabinet.If you work with them,there is more than one way to do it.
Tim.