What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

arabic 7.62 ???

peashooter

BOCN Supporter
Can anyone help me out with these, there look's to be 4 slightley different headstamps

Richard.

Attachments

• IMG_2722.jpg
    IMG_2722.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 67
Hello,
could you please also tell us the case lenght?
Is it 7,62x39 or 7,62x51 or ?
Erik

I've got the odd round with similar headstamps,I've wondered if they're
Turkish or Israeli,someone might tell us.
Chris.

Arabic headstamps

The fact that they are 7.62 x 51 will eliminate many Arabic countries as they use Soviet calibres. They are certainly not Israeli, who use Roman or Hebrew characters, and not Turkish who now use Roman characters.

The dates are a little difficult to read as the headstamps are not too clear but seem to be (l. to r.) 1963,1966,1963 and 1965.

They are not Saudi, who have crossed swords in their headstamps, so I would lean towards Jordan, United Arab Emirates or similar countries.

That's about the best I can do.

regards
TonyE

I think the dates are 63,66,63,65 from left to right.

Could they be Iranian?

Iran produced the G3 under licence before the revolution. I'm not sure when they started

Arabic headstamps

We seem to agree on the dates then.

I don't think they are Iranian, although they did adopt the 7.62mm NATO as you say. The Iranians tend to use the Moslem calender in their headstamps and I think the earliest 7.62mm dates are about 1969.

Regards
TonyE

I have seen pictures of these before, they are definitely Iranian.

I have an example of the first one in the row, it was translated on another forum. I used the attached picture to get it translated.

Acoording to the other forum: It says "D S 64". "D S" are the first letters of "Defense Industries" in Farsi. This name is used by Defense industries Iran, which is located in Tehran. The "64" is the date 1364 on the Muslim calendar, which is a Western date of 1986.

The third one along has the Symbol from the Iranian flag (see below) in the headstamp. They all look similar, so I would say they are all Iranian. Sorry I can't help you any more.

ir-lgflag.gif

Attachments

• unknown_arabic_hs.gif
    unknown_arabic_hs.gif
    3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I have seen pictures of these before, they are definitely Iranian.

I have an example of the first one in the row, it was translated on another forum. I used the attached picture to get it translated.

Acoording to the other forum: It says "D S 64". "D S" are the first letters of "Defense Industries" in Farsi. This name is used by Defense industries Iran, which is located in Tehran. The "64" is the date 1364 on the Muslim calendar, which is a Western date of 1986.

The third one along has the Symbol from the Iranian flag (see below) in the headstamp. They all look similar, so I would say they are all Iranian. Sorry I can't help you any more.

ir-lgflag.gif

can you tell me which symbols are D S & 64

Richard.

In the drawing I attached, the curved symbol on the top left is the letter "D". The symbol on the top right, which I think looks like an upside-down junior hacksaw is "S". Bottom left is "6", bottom right is "4".

Iranian

Thanks. Good call.

I was not thinking laterally (or straight) and was thinking that the dates were 1966 etc, not Islamic 1366!

The Arabic for "D S" is below, remembering that Arabic text reads right to left and numbers left to right.

Regards
TonyE

Tony,
I believe that before the Khomeni revolution you would have been right about the dates, but post-Shah they have used the Islamic calendar.