What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are AT4 launch tubes legal?

Fred

Hi folks
I was recently offered spent AT4 launch tube. Are these things legal to own in the UK or do they have to be deactivated? I would be grateful for any advice.

fred

AT4 - Swedish vs Russian

Hi folks
I was recently offered spent AT4 launch tube. Are these things legal to own in the UK or do they have to be deactivated? I would be grateful for any advice.

fred

Hello Fred:

Are you referring to the Swedish/Bofors AT-4 or US M136 variety or to the Russian AT-4 Fagot or Spigot variety?

Ben
aka mad doc

Recently a militarysurplus store I visit had a visit from BATF, they told them that the LAW and one TOW tube they had, would have to be demilled or they would take them. In eash case they had to drill 4 1/2" or larger holes 90 degrees apart in the tubes, the LAW had to have the spring and striker emoved from the firing assembly (not an easy area to access).

Years ago I ahd a 122mm Rocket launcher tube and was selling it at a gun show, the ATF took the tube away from him, but he got it back after legal, and agreeing to dril holes in it. What was strange to me, there was go firing assembly (electric) still attachede to it.

I think its a grey area in law. I had a 66mm LAW, that had no holes drilled and the firing mechanism was fine. I think the 'single use' makes it hard to categorize. There was no need for a deac certificate when I had that, and that was only about 2 years ago.

In new Zealand any launch tube including cup launchers for mills grenade are illegal unless demilled this also includes single use tubes such as law.

Sent from my HTC Magic using Tapatalk 2

M72 LAW tubes are completely legal to own in the UK . There has been at least 3 court cases & they were deemed perfectly OK . Mills cup launchers have also had court cases that found them legal as they don't have any proof marks so they are n't firearms . I'd still be a bit careful with the Mils cups though................!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the delayed response but I only have limited computer access at the moment.
I am referring to a Bofors AT4 tube. I suspected that it was a grey area but I would rather be sure than sorry. In theory the AT4 tube cannot be reloaded since it cannot withstand the stress of more than one firing but section 5 of the firearms act states:

(1.5) any rocket launcher, or any mortar, for projecting a stabilised missile, other than a launcher or mortar designed for line throwing or pyrotechnic purposes or as signalling apparatus.
My insincts have always been to avoid any ordnance if Im unsure about its legality or safety.

Thanks fot the input folks.