What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Argentine militaria brought back from Falklands?

Falcon

Does anyone have any Argentine militaria that they know was bought back from the Falklands? I have never heard of anyone having any of this in their collection, but would be interestied in seeing it if anyone does.

Hi Falcon,I have some items from the falklands but I am not sure which militaria category you would put them in,I have an Argentinian alluminium mug with various name scratched in it,it is stamped on the bottom with a crest and the words REPUBLICA ARGENTINA ARMADA,(marines ?)there is also a British mine map issued to troops showing the disposition of the various minefields on the Falklands,a fired Argentine 50 cal round with the projectile replaced,also an Argentine officers drawstring sleeping bag,(it just leaves a small part of the face exposed,the only word I can understand on the label is Alpacca so I assume it is made with and alpacca wool filling for insulation,I know the person that brought these back from the Falklands,he was an NCO at the time,
Regards,Don,

I brought back an aluminium mess tin but my dad took it to work to get rid of the corrosion by using a sander. Being so soft, there was more hole than mess tin when he finished with it. :( No corrosion left on it though.

Here is an item I made from bits whilst serving in the FI in the early 80's

Attachments

• IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0653.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 36
What rifle was that stock off?

For those of you who served there, what were the rules on souvenirs?

Browning stock, 155mm shell casing, 2 x 7.62 and 2 x 9mm (UK/Argy), filler from Phantom gun pod repair kit and engraving picture taken from telephone directory

Trophies of war were not allowed out of the country unless authorized by someone up high

I know that this has nothing to do with collecting Argentina militaria. I just wanted to ask you guys about something none-the-less I think it is interesting.

I have watched a few documentaries on that war. Both have stated that a few guys switched captured weapon with the Argentinians because it had select fire when the SLR was only single shot.

Any truth to this?

There is truth to it as far as British SLRs were only ever issued with single shot capability. The Argentine made ones were select fire. Whether they were allowed to switch weapons, and how often it was done I don't know.

They might not have asked before switching. I wouldn't like to fire an SLR from the shoulder on auto though, it had a hell of a kick on single shot as it was. If you really wanted to, there was a trick you could do where you put a bit of tin foil inside the gubbins somewhere that would make your SLR auto fire. Woe betide you if an armourer ever found out though

Last edited:
They might not have asked before switching. I wouldn't like to fire an SLR from the shoulder on auto though, it had a hell of a kick on single shot as it was. If you really wanted to, there was a trick you could do where you put a bit of tin foil inside the gubbins somewhere that would make your SLR auto fire. Woe betide you if an armourer ever found out though

I heard about that, also filing down the sear apparently does the same, but slightly more permanent.

A matchstick in a certain place did the same & using an LMG mag and holding the SLR upside down made everyone hit the deck - but bloody awfull to aim - more for effect than anything!!
I agree about the recoil bit but the quilted inners for the parkas helped.
The variety of stuff the Argies had was something else, we brought an ex WWII US `Grease Gun` our Sqn armourers de-acted it along with a .45 M1911 and a couple of FN`s - the fully auto SKR`s inc one with folding stock.
18 Sqn brought back a brand new Mercedes 4 x 4 fully fitted out & used it for several years as a Sqn rental in Germany! Mercedes sent 18 the bill for it as the baddies hadn`t paid for it. Mercedes got a polite `tough`reply!

We captured quite a few Unigmogs and G Wagons. As Hickey states, the Argies hadn't paid for them so Mercedes had the nerve to send a bill to the British for what we "liberated". As we didn't stump up the cash thy refused to supply parts. Our OC had one at 2 field Workshop REME, the previous owner was reputedly Gen Menendez himself, I got to cabbie around in it a few times.

2 Fd Wksp REME and RAOC Stores Section attached (circled) 1984 The gun in the middle was captured on the island and used as a gate guard to the workshop. It was located outside of Stanley near the Canache opposite the end of the airport runway. Rumour was that it had fired on the approaching Paras at some point in the conflict, I think it was 2 Para at Moody Brooke. It was sold to the Argies, by us and was previously used in either Aden or the Radfan by 7 RHA in support of 2 Para.

2FdWkspREME.jpg

Last edited:
Hicky, when you say your SQN armourers deacted the guns, did you get to keep them or were they kept by the SQN?

Are you sure it was actually a Colt 1911 or an Argentine made Ballester Molina pistol? This pistol looked similar to the 1911 but had no grip safety and I believe worked differently inside.

Falcon
Armourers made safe all we brought back & still hanging on 7 Sqn Aircrew crewroom wall.
Definitely an M1911 - if I get to next years Sqn piss up (sorry reunion) I`ll try & get some pics. One of the Army Air Coprs Sqn`s I worked for at Wattisham also have one (M1911)mounted in crewroom.
A lot of the Argie kit was relatively new, but the level of personnal weapon care left a lot to be desired (conscripts/elitist leaders?) = poor discipline?
As an aside did you know before 82 the British army only had a handfull of .50 BHMG`s? Post 82 we had loads! A lot of them didn`t need the shimming on barrel change (am I allowed to share that?)

After looking on the net apparently Argentina made straight copied of the 1911 as well as the pistol I mentioned.

From what you say about the .50 BMGs I remember hearing in the media (quite possibly rubbish) about a "cut and shut" Chinook in RAF service. Apparently it was made by cutting in half and welding together the front half of a British one damaged in a crash and the rear half of an Argentine one captured in the Falklands.

Chinook Bravo November, serial ZA718, was the only one to survive the Atlantic Conveyor and is still flying in Afghanistan today. It wasn't badly damaged during the conflict although it did make an emergency landing in water.

Ignore my last, I found this:

Chinook:
This Argentine Army CH-47C, serial AE-520, was captured close to the Governor's residence in Stanley on 14 June 82 and returned to the UK on the 19th August 82. It was assigned a UK serial ZH257 and over the years has been in storage or in use as a ground instructional airframe. It was assigned the maintenance serial 9217M. The rear half of this Argentine Chinook was mated with the remains of a damaged RAF example, serial ZA704, and entered service in 2001. The front remains of AE-520 went back into storage or was scrapped.
Is this is story true?
Is there any current photo in any place?

The story is true and it did indeed donate its rear fuse to ZA704, which is now flying again.
The Cockpit section has similarly been removed and was returned to the USA some years ago to assist in an MIA investigation involving a Chinook in Vietnam I believe.
The remaining 'middle third' of the fuselage is now in use for BDRT at RAF Odiham and was noted there only a few weeks ago on a visit, along with the 'original' back end from ZA704..

Last edited:
I have the Field Maintenance Manuals for the Bell 212,(Huey),when I got these books I was told they were the ones used during the overhaul of the captured Huey in the Falklands prior to it being used by the British Forces after which it was shipped to the UK and I believe is still flyable today,
Cheers,Don,

I have an Argentinian bayonet and scabbard that was from the Falklands conflict. Given to me by a friend who had a mate in our 'Special Forces' who served there. Supposed to fit the FN.

Andy