What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arming Device MK 30

Hi pete nice example, here is ours next to the Mk 32 and the piece to complete it the Mk 42 firing mechanism.

Attachments

• 20140311_130818.jpg
    20140311_130818.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20140311_130702.jpg
    20140311_130702.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 31
To really complete it you need the golden-asshole as well. - no photo as I am at work.

All are components of the Destructors - DST - which were aircraft laid mines. Re-designated MK 82, 83, 84 or M117 750lb bombs, used as shallow or deep water mines or as landmines. The Navy marked them with white reflective tape or paint, but not the Air Force. All destructor components have the shield with the DST, as seen in the photos, plus the "chemically colored gold cable-well plug in the cable well" known by EOD Techs as the "Golden-Asshole". Over the years I've found this the hardest part to find, though I am not sure why.

DSC_5361.jpg

Do you mean the flip out Electric generator in the middle of the bomb body?

Regards,

DJH

DJ, the flip out generator is a more modern component for the more modern electric fuzes. The Destructor fuzes (Vietnam and after) used their own battery in the aft fuzewell. The front Arming mechanisms shown by Pete and Blu97 were connected to the aft computer and antenna by a cable harness that went through the internal conduit in the bomb. The Golden Asshole sealed the central access hole to the conduit. It has indentations in it to allow it to be installed but they are ramped so that it couldn't be removed easily.

In the photos you can see the golden plug located in the top of the central conduit well. The conduits in this bomb are a little rusted, because the bomb was plaster filled, and the water in the plaster never dries, it continues to rust everything it touches.

Attachments

• Destructor Forward.jpg
    Destructor Forward.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Destructor Complete.jpg
    Destructor Complete.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
John, not to be overly picky, but isn't that a MK81? Didn't think that they used a 250lb Destructor.

Jeff, yes, good eye. I used a Mk. 81 because they are half the length of a Mk. 82. It was for illustration purposes to show the internal components and conduits in the bomb.

Hi jeff, I have the golden asshole now I only miss the booster, soooo?
Hazord thanks for the pics.
Erik

Sorry, I only have one. You can have the next one, promise.

DSCN5449.jpg