What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Armstrong 20lb projectile pre WWII - info request

peter russell

Gidday
I recently found a projectile on Matiu-Somes Island in Wellington Harbour (NZ) which was subsequently identified by the Police Bomb Squad as an "Armstrong 20lb shell - pre WWII". The island is managed by the Department of Conservation as a scientific & historic reserve (see http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-visit/wellington/poneke/matiu-somes-island/) & the projectile now sits in a make-shift museum on the island - where I am sitting right now (I work for the Department).
The Bomb Squad initially said it was a solid metal, non-explosive projectile designed to pierce a hole in armour etc (which is what I thought when I found it because it was so heavy). I suspect "shell" is not the right term as my understanding is that shells are hollow projectiles filled with an explosive charge designed to explode during flight, upon impact, or after penetration. Can anyone clarify?
Although there is a rumour that the island was used for target practice in the past, the "shell" is a bit of a mystery, being the only thing of that kind known to have been found here. Assuming this is the correct ID, can anyone tell me more about this model of projectile, e.g. what it is made of, where it was made, what it may have been fired from, what it was intended for use against, how effective it was etc?
My knowledge is limited, but in case you Brit's and others don't know & this helps: NZ took the threat of invasion by Russia, Germany & Japan seriously enough to establish gun emplacements etc. throughout the country e.g. there are 4 WWII gun emplacements on the summit of the island - for 3.7" AA MkII guns. They were never fired, even in practice (to avoid smashing windows all around Wellington Harbour)!
I would be grateful for any help.

Peter,

Not speaking for anyone else, but I know my psychic powers of identification are a bit weak between here and NZ this time of year.

Could you please post photos of the solid "Shot" projectile, with a diameter measurement, measured distance from the base to the rotating band, width of the rotating band, and a photo of the base of the projectile if there is any writing cast or forged into the base?

Your odds of getting an answer will greatly increase when the above info is provided.

Cheers