What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

army carrers

jordon1995

I am thinking of joining the army when i leave school but im not sure what carrer path to take any suggestions

many thanks jordon :driver:

hi you might want to try the logistics because the my cousin is in the logistics and he really likes it hope it helps

cheers

Totally biased reply here. Consider the trade of Ammunition Technician in the Royal Logistic Corps. You will receive a trade training unequalled in the world. If you have an interest in ordnance/explosives this is the path for you.
This link takes you to the MOD page that fully describes the trade. http://armyjobs.mod.uk/jobs/pages/JobDetail.aspx?armyjobid=RLC350%2F359&category
There are are number of serving and ex AT's subscribing to these forums. please feel free to ask us any questions concerning the role.
Good luck.

try think of something with a trade you can use in civvy street when you get out.

I am thinking of joining the army when i leave school but im not sure what carrer path to take any suggestions

many thanks jordon :driver:

Don't do what I did and many others do and join the infantry 'cause it looks cool! Don't get me wrong, many people make a fantastic career from the Infantry, but a trade to take home with you is the way forward. Getting trained up to the highest standard and GETTING PAID whilst you learn! Like others have said, if you have an interest in ordnance, ammo tech seems the obvious move.

I agree with PointBlank,

Go the route of Bomb tech if I may say so. Things in this world aren't getting any better and they are going to get worse before they get any better. It will be years, I predict, or decades before we see victory over terrorism. If at all! Job security in my mind would be like Spotter stated. Something you can still use in the civillian world.

V40

Agree with the comments regarding finding a trade that will be of benefit to you when you enter civilian life. So back to being an Ammunition Technician. My training, and the knowledge and skills that I acquired in the 15 years that I spent in the Army have enabled me to pursue an equally interesting career in civilian life and to the point where I have now started an explosives/ordnance related business.

If you're able to get a trade in the Army grab it, but if your not able to secure one don't be put off by a non trade career. It's an action packed time in the "teeth" of the Army right now, just be careful which Regiment you go for. Joined the Guards Division straight from school and it was probably the best thing I ever did.
Not having a trade didn't do me any harm. I guess luck always plays its part in life but I must've been lucky coz with nothing more than an exemplary discharge and a bit of hard work I've had a pretty comfortable life since. Dumb grunt and all.

A lot of good advice is beig offered. If you haven't spent too much time working at a number of jobs and finding what you like and dislike, it's tough to just pick something out. Ultimately you should pick something you really love doing, as it makes it a hell of a lot easier to go to work each day.

Your skills in math and science will be extremely important as far as being able to get into a technical field. I would first advise you to try to get into an Officer development path. Here in the states they have ROTC and the different service academies which will get you a college degree and an officer's commission. If you have the math skills try for something like computer programming/ systems management/Information technology. You will always be able to get a good job in that when you get out of the service, especially if you worked on secret materials. The medical field also has an excellent career path to the civilian world. Helicopter pilot/nav is also a positive path. Anything that requires a security clearance will lead to a higher paying job as a consultant once you get back into the civilian world.

hello

thank you all for your suggestions i really like the sound of Ammunition Technician but looking on the website given to us by exat808 it sayes that i need 'Min. Grade
C in Mathematics, plus one of Physics, Science or Integrated Science' and i and taking me GCSE's at the moment and next year and me target is a C for Mathematics and the same for Science. So im not shore if i would be able to do Ammunition Technician, what do you think ?

many thanks jordon

Hi All

Give it different Patches for Class 2 Technician and the Class 1 Technicain.
Give it Patches from the Army School of Ammunition.

I collect AT / EOD Patches ( Military and Civil , international )

Regards Peter

hello

thank you all for your suggestions i really like the sound of Ammunition Technician but looking on the website given to us by exat808 it sayes that i need 'Min. Grade
C in Mathematics, plus one of Physics, Science or Integrated Science' and i and taking me GCSE's at the moment and next year and me target is a C for Mathematics and the same for Science. So im not shore if i would be able to do Ammunition Technician, what do you think ?

many thanks jordon
Jordon,
If you really want to be an AT then now is the time to focus and go for the grades that you need. Where is your nearest Careers Officer based? Contact them and talk about your education targets. You may get a provisional acceptance based on your expected results. Please dont give up at this point. The AT trade is one of the most respected in the Army and as you progress in the trade the opportunities for work in civilian life will increase.
Go for it!