What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

artilliery shell id help please ...

Hi Banksy,
Well i can have a go at it,

Pic 1: A group of post war 40mm Bofors representative/proof rounds the black one i think being the proof.
Pic 2: 35mm Oerlikon with dummy projectile, 30mm Raden case with a dummy projectile, 30mm Aden round, 20mm Hispano practice round, ? 2cm WW2 German Mauser 151/20 Day fighter incendiary round, .50 Cal round
Pic 3: A re stencilled 155mm round with fuze plug ( i am sure someone can add to this for you )
Pic 4: Same as pic 1
Pic 5: 2 fired and recovered 2pr projectiles
Pic 6: Clip for rounds in pic 1 and 2
Pic 7: 90mm Cockrill round
Pic 8: 120mm Proof of propellant round (as stencilled on projectile) ? 90mm recoilless round,unknown to me smoke round, 20pr smoke round, ? 75mm French WW1 HE?
Pic 9: 37mm VSM AP round minus it's top steady band.

All of the info you need is on BOCN if you want to taker a little while to have a look i am sure you will be able to identify it all your self.
Best regards Weasel.

Photo 8 120mm BAT round, 100mm Russian, 106mm Recoilless Rifle HEP-T/HESH, 105mm tank case w/unknown smoke projo, 20 Pdr, 75mm

Last edited:
The blue pointed projectile (90 mm) is a practice round for the "low spin" Cockerill gun used in Belgium I believe.
Your 155 mm shell was probably from "Field Howitzer 70" trials as the paint looks to be the correct mauve ( for experimental items ) except as Weasel states the stencilling in white is a later addition, the shell will almost certainly red wax filled (inert filling) with cardboard liner.
Date probably circa 1990.
Nice items too and thanks for showing us.

Hello

Thanks for the help ! The 155mm is indeed full of wax so must to clarify the bofos rounds are all proof rounds ?

Hello

Thanks for the help ! The 155mm is indeed full of wax so must to clarify the bofos rounds are all proof rounds ?

Banksy your 40/60 Bofors rounds may wel be wax filled but they are not "Proof" rounds as such, they are "Represenatative" (two of them) ie a duplicate of the real live round in looks and weights as well as balance but they contain no nasties !
These rounds are used in trials or exercises where it is not safe to handle the real rounds, perhaps in an enclosed area where firing is not permitted-Training school perhaps, those rounds also are not designed to be "cycled" through the weapon like a drill round.

These are the rounds that fill the racks for display purposes at shows amongst other things.
A very nice collection Banksy !

ok great ! one last bit of info to add the black frentch shell with the honeycome fuze is full of shrapnle balls 2 of the bofos rounds disasemble ...

so the first frentch shell is a ww1 he ? and the second ?

Picture 5 Banksy is as already identified by Weasel as being 2 pounder practice rounds, they were produced with the flat top in order that short ranges could be used instead of the large areas usually associated with Artillery-you can tell they are practice as the steel used is of a low quality and rusts very badly (hence the severe pitting) but none the less nice items.

Picture 8 is Hazord states except that I am fairly sure that it has the correct 105mm BE/SMK projectile in it.

Last edited: